How much should a new nursing cat eat?

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in an adult male cat (the father), and a 5 month old, 4 week pregnant cat (kitten really) and she had her babies a few days ago. She had 5, but one was still born and was not as developed as the other 4. The four she has are all doing great, round bellies, sleeping well, and hardly ever a peep comes out of them; they're very content. Mamma kitty spends almost all of her time with them and I give her food multiple times a day in the box they're in. When I took her in she was being fed an adult cat food, Alley Cat, I believe. I switched her to Purina One's kitten formula and she had access to the dry food at all times, and she was also given half a 5.5oz can of wet food (adult) at night. Since having the kittens she isn't interested in the dry food, or water really. I've been giving her about a quarter of a can every 3-4 hours or so. I get up during the night to do so as well. I have been mixing a little water in with the wet food just to make sure she stays hydrated, and twice a day I'm giving her some KMR. I have the powder and I'm giving her 1TBS of powder to 3TBS of water. She loves that. She will eat her treats, so I give her a little bit of her dry food with them to try and get her to eat a little bit of it. So basically I'm trying to figure out if I'm feeding her enough, not enough, or too much. I've read multiple things all over the internet, so I'm looking for opinions from experienced people. 

She's eating about 1 1/2 5.5oz cans of wet food a day (in a 24hr period)

She's also getting the KMR 2 times a day, 1TBS of the powder to 3TBS of water each time.

Treats a couple times a day, maybe a total of 10-15 treats for the day with a little dry food snuck in. 

She does have fresh water and dry food right by her box, but it doesn't look like she touches it. I'm going to weigh the food bowl tonight and again in the morning so I can see if she's maybe eating it at night. I did also order cans of Science Diet in a kitten formula since she's eating way more wet than dry right now. 

I also will be having the father neutered and her spayed once the kittens are weaned and ready to go. I have a shelter in my area that will neuter the male for $20, spay her for free, take the kittens, give them their shots and spay and neuter them before adopting them out into new homes. I realize this is not relevant to the topic, but I've seen a lot of posts that have nothing to do with having cats spayed or neutered, having comments about it, so I'm just putting it out there. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should give her as much food as she wants.

She can also get pregnant again as early as a week after giving birth.   Maybe neuter the male sooner.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
More wet food is ideal, especially as she appears not to be eating the dry at present. The wet food, and even more KMR than you are giving her, will help her make good milk and keep her healthy and growing. Since she is herself still a kitten, she needs as much wet food as she can eat right now to support herself and her kittens.

Kittens should not be re-homed until at least 8 weeks, preferably 12.

Spaying and neutering is great. Male now, mom can be fixed when the kittens are 8 weeks. She'll still be able to nurse for a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll give her more wet food and KMR, she didn't touch her dry food last night. The wet food for kittens is coming today, so I'll get her off the adult wet food this afternoon. I wish I could have had the male fixed before she had the kittens, I didn't realize how expensive it was. The people at the rescue offered to fix him for $20, but they won't do it until I bring her and the kittens in. They wanted this to happen when they were 6 weeks. I questioned them on that and they said when it comes to weaning that some kittens are different, so I already plan to keep them at a minimum of 8 weeks. I have an email into the woman I've been talking with to see about having the male neutered asap, I should hear back from her today. For now, I'm bringing him into my room at night since I can't watch him when I sleep, and during the day when she comes out of her box I literally follow the two of them around, and if I leave the house, he goes back upstairs in the bedroom. I'm doing everything I can to keep her from getting pregnant again. Though I know this will become increasing difficult when she starts leaving the box for longer periods of time. 

Part of me thinks that it was dumb to take in the male as well, but they have a strong bond, and he would have ended up in a shelter. Right now I'm spending what I have on good food for her and the KMR, I am actively looking for a way to have him fixed asap though. I can make some cuts in my budget, but even then, it'll take a few weeks before I could afford to have him fixed. Hopefully the shelter will fix him now, and not make me wait til I bring in the mother and kittens. I'm beginning to feel it's all about the kittens for them, but I know they'll have their shots and be fixed before they're adopted out and it'll only cost me $20 and both the male and female will be fixed. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you did great taking in the male too! Hopefully they can fix him now, especially since he's intact in the house with an intact female.

Otherwise, Humane Societies offer low cost spays/neuters if you have one nearby.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with all of them :).

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a place that will neuter him and give him his rabies vaccine for $52. A bit more than I can afford, but I'm making it work since the cost is far less than ending up with another litter of kittens. I just have to keep an eye on them when they're together for one week and he goes in on the 11th. I also think that I'm not going to surrender her kittens to the shelter in my area that will fix her for free if I do so. They want the kittens at 6 weeks, 8 would be pushing it. I can save up to have her fixed over the next few months and she can have her babies until they're ready to go between 8-12 weeks. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that he has an appointment for his neutering. That will be a relief for you! Just be aware that he is still fertile for two weeks after the surgery until everything is out of his system.

I think it's good to keep the babies with their mom for 12 weeks. They will be much better adjusted and socialized. Six weeks is much too young, and mom will be happier too.

Can you get her spayed eventually at the same low-cost place?

I'm very happy that you've made these decisions :).

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll still keep an eye on them after he's neutered. She will go to the same place he's going to, but it costs a little bit more for the spay than the neuter. That seems to be the same everywhere, which makes sense since spaying is a bit more involved than neutering. Now I just have to keep from talking myself into keeping one of the kittens. They're just so adorable. They all have thumbs like their mamma. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hear you! I took in a pregnant stray a few months ago and have kept her and all four of her kittens. They are all fixed. I used the Humane Society. :)

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He had his surgery and freaked out from the time he was put in the carrier, all the way until he was home for about an hour. He was panting excessively and breathing so fast. He calmed down and is confined to the bedroom for at least a few days. He has a cone on his head because he loves to needlessly lick. He's feeling better today though. Oh, and he peed all over the vet. I'm glad it was just pee and he didn't bite or scratch anyone. 

Mama and the kittens are doing great. They'll be two-weeks tomorrow, and they're eyes are all open. Mama cat has been eating her dry food for about a week now. She's still getting plenty of wet food though, and I've stopped the KMR since she's eating a lot better and drinking water again. The kittens are warming up to being held. It's funny, the girls are nice and quiet, but the boys cry really loud for the first minute or so. Mama cat used to get nervous, but now she just stays put. 

The woman from the shelter that would spay her for free if I gave them the kittens to adopt out is making me a bit hesitant. She wants to come to my house to see them, tell me about the program, and have me sign some contract then give the mama cat her first vaccine. I expressed my concern over her wanting the kittens at six-weeks, and she said that she'll be able to tell when they can be separated from her once she sees them. Something doesn't seem right with all of that, so I'm definitely going to keep them and find them homes on my own when they're really ready.

The kittens at one week. I've been trying to get pictures of them individually now that they're about two-weeks, but they just won't sit still, haha

Last edited by a moderator:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Six weeks is too early to separate them from mom.  They may not be weaned yet.  8 weeks is the minimum and 12 weeks is optimal so mom has time to teach 'kitten manners'. 

I think you are right to hesitate with this woman, a rescue group should know better.  Is there an ASPCA nearby?  Most do low cost spay/neuter and vaccines.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Six weeks is definitely too early to separate the kittens from mom, even though a lot of people will give kittens away at that age. They may start eating solid food at 4-5 weeks, but they're really just starting to be weaned at 6 weeks. My pregnant stray didn't completely wean her kittens until closer to 10 weeks.

I'd be very wary of any rescue that wants to vaccinate a nursing mama cat and separate the kittens at 6 weeks. I would hope they have a policy of adopting out kittens only after they're spayed/neutered. In that case, separating them from mom early serves no purpose. I've never heard of a vet who will spay/neuter earlier than 2 months of age and minimum 2 pounds weight, even the ones who do rescue work. Many private vets won't spay/neuter before 4-5 months.

Before you allow the rescue to come to your home I'd visit their shelter to see the conditions. I'd also ask to see their adoption contract. It sounds like once you turn the kittens over to them you won't have any say in their adoptions.

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did find a fairly low cost clinic that is affiliated with Tufts. That is where I had my male neutered, and where I will have the female spayed and given her shots once the babies go to their new homes. 

I told the woman that I was not interested in giving them the kittens anymore, especially since so many things went unanswered in my messages. Even after saying that and mentioning specific things, she still neglected to answer what I had asked and just went on about the kittens. I'll keep the kittens until at least 10-weeks (longer if I feel it necessary) and give them to people I trust will take care of them. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am glad that you are not signing the kittens over to the shelter. They really need to be with their mom longer, and this way you'll know where they go. I would share similar concerns to yours if I were not getting the answers I was seeking.

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my little 2 1/2 week old kittens looks to be getting conjunctivitis in one eye. His eye has a wet look and after he's been sleeping his eye is stuck closed, not terribly bad, but stuck nonetheless. I've been doing research and I'm getting answers all over the line. I would post a picture, but I recently took a soft paper towel dampened with warm water and dabbed it on his eye a few times and lightly swept across from the inside out and his eye is now open. I'll get a picture when/if it happens again. From what I've read, one of his litter-mates or he himself could have scratched his eye. 

I was just curious of how people have treated young kittens conjunctivitis personally. I would like to avoid a vet visit, but if it gets any worse, or if it should not be treated at home then I'll take him of course. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep wetting and wiping the crust off the eye. You don't want the pus making the eye worse if it can't drain.  Wash your hands well before touching the other kitten. 

This does require a vet visit.  You will need to get an antibiotic, terramycin ointment, to treat the eye.  Put some on your wrist when giving it to the kitten so you don't contaminate the container.  Both kittens may need it.

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I figured I might need to get some type of medication for it. I have 4 kittens, they're two and a half weeks old. So far it's just the one with one eye, but I'm checking the others frequently. I did wash my hands before I wiped his eye, and I wash them before I hold the kittens as well.  

Thank you. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Ok, I figured I might need to get some type of medication for it. I have 4 kittens, they're two and a half weeks old. So far it's just the one with one eye, but I'm checking the others frequently. I did wash my hands before I wiped his eye, and I wash them before I hold the kittens as well.  

Thank you. 
You can have some salt into the warm water you use, a saline water almost as tears, but be sure its not too much salt - it hurts.

Saline water is mildly antiseptic...

I do agree, if you believe this is more than some  occasionally thing, you need an antibiotic ointment, alike the terramycine mentioned above.

Best is if a vet prescribes it, so you are on the safe side.

Very experienced rescuers, or owners of many cats do often  find shortcuts, but they being experienced, do of course KNOW.

For all the other the only safe recommendation is to play it safe, and go to the vet....

Vets are often not so knowleable on helping small, weak kittens, but if a kitten do has clear cut symptoms, they are good at it.

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had her kittens 3-weeks ago. I spent the entire day wandering around my house trying to find a "smell." It is pretty gross and it was very elusive. I sat on the couch and the smell found me, unfortunately, it's my mamma cat. I'm not sure if it's milk that's gotten into her fur, or her general odor since she's been helping the kittens relieve themselves. But she stinks, and I want to give her a bath. I know that her being clean will be good for the kittens, I'm just unsure of how the kittens factor in since I know their scent is on her. I don't want to make her smell like soap. Would maybe a warm water bath be ok, just to clean her fur a bit, or would it be alright to give her a normal bath? 

FYI, I've never bathed her before since she usually grooms herself very well, so I'm not sure how she's going to react to a bath. Another concern is stressing her out. I've heard that stress can cause issues with her milk production. I have not looked into this for myself yet though. 

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My cat had her kittens 3-weeks ago. I spent the entire day wandering around my house trying to find a "smell." It is pretty gross and it was very elusive. I sat on the couch and the smell found me, unfortunately, it's my mamma cat. I'm not sure if it's milk that's gotten into her fur, or her general odor since she's been helping the kittens relieve themselves. But she stinks, and I want to give her a bath. I know that her being clean will be good for the kittens, I'm just unsure of how the kittens factor in since I know their scent is on her. I don't want to make her smell like soap. Would maybe a warm water bath be ok, just to clean her fur a bit, or would it be alright to give her a normal bath? 

FYI, I've never bathed her before since she usually grooms herself very well, so I'm not sure how she's going to react to a bath. Another concern is stressing her out. I've heard that stress can cause issues with her milk production. I have not looked into this for myself yet though. 
Maybe try a bath wipe first if your concerned. If nothing else I've found them useful for handling the smell with Sera (no idea how she ended up stinking lol).