How Much Should A Cat Poop A Day??

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys,
we found out a few weeks back that my beautiful boy Garfield haa a mass in his colon. He is around 12-13 years old so my vet opted out of doing surgery. Since he has a mass in his colon, he cannot pass hard stools so we have him on a laxative to keep his stools liquidy so he can pass them. He was pooping around 3 times a day but it seems to have slowed down.

How much should a cat be pooping a day?? I know at least once a day is ideal but I'm concerned about the amount he is pooping, or the lack there of.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem is that varies from cat to cat, just as it varies from human to human. Some go multiple times a day, a few only go every other day, and that is totally normal for that particular cat. I wouldn't worry overly much unless he starts going less than once a day, or if he starts straining, or begins to go outside the box, which might indicate that he is in pain when he goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does strain, but the vet said that may be because he's on a laxative and because the mass is in his colon he may feel like theres poop to be pushed out when there's not. I'm just having a hard time telling if it's enough since it's liquid. The vet has never seen a cat with a mass in the area where he has it, so I don't really have anything to compare it too :(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you guys are going through that. I wish I could have given you a more definite, useful answer. I'm here, for what that is worth.

• Purraise
Reactions: A.w
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. We brought him in to the vet today and the mass in his colon has gotten bigger unfortunately. My heart is completely shattered. They could do a resection surgery on him but there are no guarentees. If i can prolong my baby's life I need to be 100% sure it will be of quality. Otherwise, in my mind, it's not worth it. I'm getting a second opinion done tonight. :(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so hate that. Yes, definitely, a second opinion. And I agree with you, quality of life over quantity. It is what I would choose for myself, as well as my Hekitty.