How much scratching is normal?

kittyamaryllis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never had a cat before so I don't know how much scratching is normal for kitties. :(

My almost 6-month-old cat has been scratching her ears and cheeks. They're not bloody or anything, they look absolutely fine. But she does this every hour or couple hours or so. My boyfriend says that that's normal because after all humans sometimes have to scratch themselves too, but I'm not sure. She doesn't do it constantly either, just scratches herself with her leg for a second or two and then she stops. 

I checked her with a flea comb and there was nothing in her fur and she recieves frontline spot-on once a month so I HOPE it isn't fleas. I also checked inside her ears and they were completely clean too. 

IDK if I'm overreacting and her behaviour is normal for cats or if she really does have something. :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've never had a cat before so I don't know how much scratching is normal for kitties. :(

My almost 6-month-old cat has been scratching her ears and cheeks. They're not bloody or anything, they look absolutely fine. But she does this every hour or couple hours or so. My boyfriend says that that's normal because after all humans sometimes have to scratch themselves too, but I'm not sure. She doesn't do it constantly either, just scratches herself with her leg for a second or two and then she stops. 
I'd have a vet take a look at the cat just to be sure. Frequent scratching can indicate a parasite like fleas or a skin condition or allergic reaction to something. A few scratches daily is pretty normal but every hour is not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyamaryllis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, I don't think it's every hour. It's a couple daily. Maybe it IS normal. :) I'll keep an eye on it though. 

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten did this ALOT.  Especially when she woke up from naps.

She did have feline herpes and a runny nose as well as gingivitis/very swollen gums during teething.  I thought the scratching was excessive and it seemed to be related to one or the other of those things.  The herpes gave her a runny nose so I suspect she had some post nasal drip that tickled her throat (hence the throat scratching) and I think that the gingivitis/teething - also triggered some of the scratching on her cheeks.

Her herpes is under control but unfortunately her gingivitis persists despite a dental cleaning and daily brushing.  I am happy to report though that her scratching is down to "normal" frequencies.