How much real siamese do you think is in my kitten?

thundercatxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there I'll start with telling you a bit about him. He was a rare find, he was on sale on kijiji for 100 dollars. His dad was said to be a super wedgehead siamese, we didn't meet the dad but the mother looks like she might have just been a colourpoint short hair.

Do you think he has some purebred modern siamese in him?

I kind of refuse to believe he is just some pointed domestic, as he is everything I've read about a siamese cat. He has a very long thin body, short thin fur that clings to his skin. He has a super thin long tail, he meows ridiculously. It's like a long drawn out meow, and we talk to each other! He is also the most lovable clingy cat in the whole world.

So. What do you guys think? Does he look like his dad was a extreme wedgehead siamese?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thundercatxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to drive over two hours for him as he was in the middle of nowhere. The lady said the price was low as she isn't a breeder her cat had an unintentional litter and wanted them to have good homes. As you can see he is chocolate point.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about Siamese, just wanted to say Wow! What a handsome little guy! Congratulations, new mommy :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He certainly has looks of a siamese.  Somewhat in between old type siamese and a modern siamese, very nice.

Lets see what Maew will say, she is not only all round knowleable, but especially our expert on siameses!

Good luck!

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi .    I love the big mouth pictures.   Believe me,  I can relate to the "yelling".      

Absolutely he looks like he must have recent Siamese ancestry.  He looks like he's probably at least half Siamese  and just going by looks in these photos,   there is nothing that looks obviously NOT Siamese about him.      

I agree with Stefan that in head shape and body type, he looks like  borderline between modern and old style Siamese    -- like some cats I have seen that are a "cross"  from lines of the different types

... or like some cat who are a cross of a modern Siamese and a Siamese mix with a fair bit of SIamese. 

(I am not sure what you meant when you said the mother looked like a colorpoint shorthair,   I don't know if that was just a term you were using for a "domestic shorthair"  in a colorpoint pattern.... or if you actually meant the CFA breed Colorpoint Shorthair which is basically pedigreed cats who are nearly all Siamese  but  in colors that originally came from outcrosses to domestics- -  red points, tabby (lynx) points, tortie points etc. ) 

It could possibly be that his mom  is a pointed domestic ( moggy). with very little Siamese in her and this kitten just took after his Siamese father's side.      There are a lot of cats with a pointed color pattern who have hardly any Siamese ancestry .  

But with the way he looks, I would not be surprised if the mother also had some recent Siamese ancestry. 

Your kitten looks like he may be a chocolate point .  That is more unusual than seal points or blue points.    A chocolate point ideally has medium brown,  milk chocolate colored points and a body that is very creamy colored and stays that way as they get older.  But it can be hard to tell in a kitten since they are developing their color.   it's possible he could be a slow developing seal point.    but right now he looks chocolate. 

Have fun with this guy and expect him to be able to jump or climb to anywhere in your house,  and figure out how to get into about everything! 

I do hope that woman got her cat spayed so there won't be more "accidental" breedings.  

and I hope we will be seeing a lot more and hearing a lot more about your kitten.  

thundercatxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Thanks for such an informative answer. I meant to say pointed domestic, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the post haha. The mother had a regular looking round face with seal points so I assumed she was probably just a pointed domestic. (She was beautiful though!)

The dad was chocolate point, and Zuko (my kitten) seems to be as well. He is 14 weeks old already, and we got him when he was 9. they grow up so fast!

I'm very happy to hear that from you guys as he is the most wonderful cat I have ever had and I'm glad I can attribute that to his breed as I think I will probably stick with siamese forever! I've grown up with at least 7 different cats as a kid but owning him I can see that he is very different when it comes to personality. He acts like a baby such that he cuddles up with us at night and is always crying for our attention and is just so affectionate. He doesn't much like it when people come over but I'm so happy he seems so bonded to us!

Thanks so much for your answer :)

thundercatxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also.. I think he has webbed feet

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Webbed feet!     You're right it's hard to see exactly in the picture just how webbed it is.     I think it's not uncommon for cats to have it to some extent,  some skin between the toes, . especially on the front paws.   Or at least  my cats do.     They're Siamese.    but  it's not just  a Siamese thing since I have heard of other cats having it.  

but I can't tell if your kitten's paws are a lot more webbed than normal . 

Your little chocolate point guy is adorable.     

Yes  Siamese are wonderful,   so people-oriented  , communicative,  interactive,   intelligent....       and once someone experiences a Siamese that really has the typical Siamesey personality ( or a Siamese mix that happens to get a big dose of it)  they often decide they never want to be without one.  :)   

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blue DSH Oksana has webbed feet. I thought this was wierd too. However upon further discussion here, I'm not so sure it is.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If that lady wanted to find really good homes for them, she wouldn't have charged anything at all...sounds like an irresponsible BYB to me.

Anyway, he is gorgeous and it's pretty obvious he has Siamese in him, you don't really need our opinions on that. lol

Good luck and have fun with your newest bundle of joy!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Above poster people should never ever just give kittens away. When someone pays for a kitten usually thats a very good indication the kitten is going to a good home..Most don't pay for a animal they plan on not taking care of!

Your kitten is Adorable..I have 4 siamese now..Have owned siamese for the past 35 years. Sure looks like a full blooded siamese to me. And a wedge head at that.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. However, I don't think $100 constitutes any animal is going to go to a good home. Especially when you consider that's how much we all pay for cat food in a couple of months. Purebreds show up in the shelter all the time. I'm sure people are paying good money for them at one point. I guess I just get a kick out of breeders who have "accidents" and still find a way to make money from it. If this BYB was responsible, she would have waited until they were old enough, had them all spayed/neutered, vaccinated, de-wormed, etc...and THEN maybe she could of asked a rehoming fee of $100. I think it's silly for anyone who is not selling a breeding quality cat to let them go w/o spaying/neutering. Sorry if I am being harsh, but I just recently adopted our third kitty and saw how overcrowded the Humane Society was. It bums me out that some lady with too many cats that she can't be responsible for, is just adding to the overpopulation problem.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like I am being annoying now, but I just noticed the OP has a regular dog collar on the kitten. If he wears a collar, he needs to have a breakaway collar. :-) Ok, I'm done!

thundercatxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, I just purchased a collar under the cat section I didn't know there was a difference! ill look for the breakaway collars you're talking about. Also, I believe the price was much lower than it could have been. Might have been because she was at least an hour out of the closest city. We got him because we were willing to drive 2 hours to get him, which honestly he was worth every penny and minute of our time.

thundercatxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Above poster people should never ever just give kittens away. When someone pays for a kitten usually thats a very good indication the kitten is going to a good home..Most don't pay for a animal they plan on not taking care of!

Your kitten is Adorable..I have 4 siamese now..Have owned siamese for the past 35 years. Sure looks like a full blooded siamese to me. And a wedge head at that.
I totally agree with this. With the large amounts of free kittens available on craigslist, kijiji etc, someone willing to pay a price shows that they are committed to paying for, taking care of, and vet care.

Someone who couldn't afford vet care or the proper food would not put up money for any kitten, they would just go for the cheapest one. Those free kittens can be adopted and possibly never get fixed or see a vet. they will receive food and care, but bare minimum. My boyfriends mother adopted two kittens like that. People seem to assume cats are cheap, which is obviously wrong. 

Worst case scenario some sicko takes free kittens and hurts them :( i've read stories about people like that. Makes me sick.