How much raw food to feed my kitties per day and how often?

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 9-month old ragdoll kitties that weigh a little over 10 lbs each. They have been eating mostly raw (I still need to entice them with a little cat food on top) for the past couple of months now.

They are still eating 4 times per day though I would love to decrease this to 3 to make feeding them a bit easier, especially for my cat sitters. Can I just start transitioning them into 3 times and ignore their pleas to eat if they want to eat sooner?

Also, how much raw food should they be eating per day? At first my girl ate much more than her brother but now he seems to eat more than her. He is a little bigger than her but she seems to be more dense, so they weigh almost the same. The amount they eat changes daily because some days they are hungrier than others. But on average, I would guess it's about 8 oz each plus some commercial food on top.

Is this about right? Will they eat less as they get older?

Thanks for your input.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten appetites vary so you bascially just go by the kitten
My Aby was eating raw 4 times a day (about 4 oz total) until he was almost a year old. Then he started eating only part of his last meal so I just gave him 3 meals. Give 3 meals a try for a few days to see if the kittens notice or not. Most kittens will eventually start eating just enough to meet their needs. You can leave some canned or frreeze dred raw out if the cats seem to be hungryin between meals. My cats are fine with going 12 hours between breakfast and dinner with no food but some cats aren't.

My Aby eats roughly 4 oz of food a day (still just 3 meals) and he's 5 years old. My other cat is the same age and only eats about 2 oz a day. 6 to 8 oz isn't an uncommon amount of raw to feed.If the food doesn't have a lot of calories, you'll need to feed more. What kind of raw are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I feed mostly rabbit though have fed some chicken and turkey as well. I'll probably limit the turkey as it grinding up the bones almost broke my grinder.