How much kitten food (urgent)

animallover4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I wasn't sure about this so I figured I would ask. The back of the kitten food says 1/3-3/4 a cup for a 10 week old kitten. Since I have two kittens I decided to take 3/4 times two and gave them 1.5 cups so each would get its 3/4 cup. Am I putting to much food in the dish and if so exactly how much should I put in the bowl.

Jason

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jason,

We have a kitten advisor on the board who I am sure will see and answer this, but for now, I wanted to toss in my two cents and hopefully reassure you.

I used to free feed my kittens...I see nothing wrong with measuring out the recommended amount of a food in the morning for the day. If you are concerned that one kitten is pushing the other out of the bowl, use two feeding bowls, each with the appropriate amount of food.

Hth!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jason, the amount of food sounds good and I would feed 3/4 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night. If you can afford it, offer a little canned kitten food before you go to bed to calm the kittens and they (and you!) get a good night's sleep.

anne g

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always been told that kittens should eat as much as they want, so if they want more than 3/4 cup each a day, let them have it. They will not get fat. When they get older (about one year) you could keep an eye on their intake and schedule the feeding if you wish.

dima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with Anne - kittens should be fed as much as they will eat. When we have kittens they get free-fed dry food and then about a tablespoon of wet kitten food 4 or 5 times a day. They seem to like that schedule. Then as they get older I cut down the wet to 2 times a day and eventually 1 time at night so that they rest better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animallover4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks,

I am currently feeding them, 1.5 cups of Proplan Total Care Chicken & Rice formula for kittens first thing in the morning and 1/2 of a 3 oz can of Proplan Chicken and Liver entree for kittens at night. The can says give 1/3 3 times a day but I am normally at work from 830-530 so I really can't give it to them more than once a day. I didn't know that a little wet food right before bed calms the cats down, good thing to know.

Thanks,

Jason

catman7766

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when i had my first cat (formerly kitten) i used to cut up some canned food into fourths and give a section of it fo morning, lunch, supper, and night. he didnt get plump but when he got older, i gave him half, then the whole thing when he was full grown. them i gave him some hard food 24/7. i worked for my cat and maybe it would work for yours. good luck with the kittens!