How much is too much?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush Scratch with his Zoom Groom once a day. It seems that I am pulling out a lot of undercoat. Now it could be that the Zoom Groom is small and it looks like a lot of hair. What is a normal amount?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I do ZG on my kitty (19 weeks old) I get a lot of hair -- but not a ton. If I do again the next day, I don't get much. I don't know if that is because he is a kitten and doesn't shed much yet or that Nutro food is really good stuff!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get a lot out of Magpie (semi long haired bridge baby) - I remember one evening having a huge pile of hair. I don't get so much with Mosi but he's only a kitten. It may just be that he's shedding a lot right now - I think the zoom groom will only pull out loose hair so I'd imagine you can't really do it too much?

tutycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tuty looses his hair everywhere, even without brushing just to put my hands on him will make hair stick to my hand. He has long hair. If ur cat has short hair, u shouldnt brush him everyday, cats with long hair need to be brushed daily so it wont tangle.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on your cat's coat, how long it has been since he was groomed and how much grooming he does on his own. If he is a pretty furry lil fellow that hasn't been groomed in awhile, I would be surprised if you got 4 handfuls the first time.. assuming he continues to put up with the brushing. If he is groomed regularly I would assume a handful or two his normal for a DSH. I have zero experience with long haired cats... so I don't know much about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

It depends on your cat's coat, how long it has been since he was groomed and how much grooming he does on his own. If he is a pretty furry lil fellow that hasn't been groomed in awhile, I would be surprised if you got 4 handfuls the first time.. assuming he continues to put up with the brushing. If he is groomed regularly I would assume a handful or two his normal for a DSH. I have zero experience with long haired cats... so I don't know much about them.
Scratch isn't just furry... he's a shaggy beast! I've found if I don't brush him once a day he gets small mats starting on his belly. I'm starting to think that this may be normal. He is just so happy once it is all done.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I was shocked at how much hair I got the first time I used the Zoom Groom on Jamie, and my mom got "saucer eyes" when I bought one and used it on her dogs (one is a long-haired Lab) and cat.
One of my students took in his grandmother's DLH a few months ago, and was using a "rake" on him, but the cat was still shedding all over the place and didn't like being brushed. I gave him one of my Zoom Groom brushes (hard to get here, so I pick up a few whenever I'm Stateside, because they make nice gifts). He brought in a paper lunch bag of compressed cat hair to show me how much hair he got off the cat in one sitting, so now I have a few "orders" for Zoom Grooms for this summer's trip to the U.S..
Maybe I should ask for a commission?