How much is too much?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the vet after the $228.00 bill per cat for shots and blood work They gave me an estimate for teeth cleaning of $415.00 per cat.

I havn't been to the dentist in 4 years and the cats cleaning would cost more than a cleaning an extraction for me.

I love my little bratts but I can't afford $830.00 + tax out of pocket

Today both Duke and Sibohan are hateing me and quite groggy after their shots

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, those prices seem really high. When Katie had to have some dental work done last year it was $80 for the initial exam and blood draw, then $150 for the cleaning and another $45 to have one tooth extracted.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Those prices are really high!! I would call around to another vet to see what they charge.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those prices seem really high to me also. I haven't had to have cleanings done on mine yet but I get annual exams and whatever shots they need for two cats for less than your paying for one. One of mine also has to be pretreated before a vaccination because of an allergic reaction he had to his one year booster. That shot is more than any of the vaccinations except the rabies shot.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd start calling around and compare prices.

There's a shi-shi cat-only vet hospital in my town. Their prices are typically 2-4xs higher for the same services than every other vet in town. Ex: They charge $220 for spay - my vet charges $65 or so. Annual exam with typical shots: $145. My vet: $58 (exam fee waived with shots. other place, not.)

It is possible to have big cost differences among vets. Research.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a vet quote me over $300 for just a cleaning - I opted not to, and am brushing Ginger's teeth myself when I can - she hates it, but no way am I spending $300 on a cleaning!!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid around $100 to have Prego's teeth cleaned about 2 1/2 years ago. That included everything, but no extractions had to be performed; he just had tartar.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last year Kandies pre op blood work and dental was about 300 ... this year it will be about 200 ( 100 for the dental ) one extraction needed at 5-75$.... Kandie is almost 18 and needs some extras yours likely dont...

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that you don't need anesthesia to have your teeth cleaned. A more reasonable human comparison would be wisdom teeth extraction with general anesthesia, rather than a routine cleaning. Proper anesthesia and monitoring is not cheap but it's not possible to clean a conscious cat's teeth.

Considering the cost of major medical problems, preventative care such as dentals should be thought of as a wise investment.

(As for the cost of major medical problems - well, here where I work we sent a cat home today whose final bill totaled about $6500. It's really, really not cheap.)

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was quoted about $300 to get Stanley's teeth cleaned (he has a lot of tartar build up) but they said that was because the anesthesia is expensive.

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I had a vet quote me over $300 for just a cleaning - I opted not to, and am brushing Ginger's teeth myself when I can - she hates it, but no way am I spending $300 on a cleaning!!!
Do you happen to know how often a teeth cleaning needs to be done? And will brushing there teeth on your own help out quite a bit?

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got quoted about 400 also...blood panel/felv/fiv test(think they said had to be a test within the past 3 months) and then the actual cleaning/gas to go under. That didn't include anything else like pulling teeth or more serious work. I didn\\t take him for it...started brushing everyday with a marked improvment(still needs to get it done but will wait a few months) RJ

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe you've found "too much". I got quoted $35-$45 for a tooth cleaning, depending on severity at one place, $40 at another place (but this area is very rural). Even for a city that sounds absurdly high, though. i'd shop around.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG So cheap...I don't test for felv/fiv so I really don't get why they want to test for it to just clean teeth...I mean the cat came thoguh its spay/neuter within a year or two. If it was that cheap by me I'd get all thier teeth done every year. RJ

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jayme&Jackson

Do you happen to know how often a teeth cleaning needs to be done? And will brushing there teeth on your own help out quite a bit?
I know that some cats are prone to gingivitis and others aren't, so it varies. Some may need it done as often as 2x per year.

Brushing their teeth yourself WILL help out, but time is the only real measure to know how much it helps.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver will be 7 in August. During his last vet visit the vet said that his teeth looked great. He has been eating tartar control kitty treats his whole life. My vet told me during Olivers very 1st visit that eating them regularly might prevent him from ever having to have his teeth cleaned and it looks like its working!

On the other hand, Tripod eats the same treats. He just turned 4 and my vet warned me that he may need his teeth cleaned soon. (pout).

Tripod wolfs down his treats and Oliver chews slowly. I'm guessing thats why.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding a specific brand of treats or jsut any tartar contol..I know my cats love the nutro treats. tia RJ