How much is too much? When to transition to palliative care...

gnamazon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Background: I grew up in a large city without a ton of money. Our family cats were all either killed by cars or died “naturally,” which really meant wasting away without medical care. My spouse grew up quite poor in a rural area and, to quote: “when the animals got old we just put them outside for nature to do its work.” It all sounds pretty awful to me these days, but that’s just how it was for both of us. Basically, neither of us had had to deal with end-of-life medical care for a cat. Fast forward...

My cat is 17 (possibly older) and we have had 15 wonderful years together. The spouse came into our lives about seven years ago. :) The cat has had a very healthy, happy life without any health problems; her only procedures have been a spay and two dentals. A year ago, the vet said her pre-anesthesia labs for a dental looked like those of a five year old cat. Within the last few months she has started to develop high urine output and thirst. Labs last month revealed CKD (now stage 2) and the problems that go along with it, including anemia. All of this is manageable. However, her platelets have dropped well below the normal range and are now 70. There has been a downward trend — too much lower and she is at risk for spontaneous bleeding. We also suspect she has a nasal polyp due to sneezing and scratching at her ear (both of which result in bleeding due to the thrombocytopenia), some head shaking and newish onset snoring. She has been in a cone for over a month to let the wounds on the side of her head heal, one of which required some stitches.

I am well aware that all of these issues can be treated. Her CKD is well controlled by diet changes and a dose of subcutaneous LR here and there. Most polyps can be removed surgically. And there can be underlying causes for thrombocytopenia to treat. My vet of course sees all of her issues as “fixable” and would like to treat everything. I’m considering if and when to get a second opinion.

I want to look at the bigger picture and take whatever action is in the cat’s best interest. She is a pretty old lady. She has some joint pain for which I give glucosamine and CBD. She doesn’t get around as easily as she used to. She hasn’t played in a year or two. Now the health problems that have come on quite suddenly (within the last month, but most of this news came just this week). She is at such a high risk of bleeding from polyp removal due to the platelet issue. She might not even be able to have it removed at all. Polyps also recur quite frequently, so even if it were removed and she survived another year or two, we could be looking at exactly the same problem again. Vet trips stress her out so a big work up including multiple trips for serial labs, xrays, and possibly a CT becomes a quality of life issue. She also has been living in a cone, which just sucks.

It seems like all things are pointing to the fact that she’s aging rapidly, nearing what would naturally be her time, and I should focus on comfort. I am a PICU and NICU nurse and regularly see unethical heroics done to patients for very selfish reasons. Just because we can treat doesn’t mean that we should. I know cats and humans are different (!), but my background as an ICU RN is informing my decision making to a large extent.

The thing is, she is still herself. Pretty happy, very interactive, loves to eat, snuggle, and sit in her sunny spots, and so on. I see no signs of pain or respiratory distress. It seems so odd to be considering a palliative care route for a cat who looks pretty darn good considering her age. She may not even decline rapidly — no one knows. She also wouldn’t know the difference if we euthanized her, I get that. I’m not saying I’d do anything now, but I would much rather error on too soon.

There are multiple vets and in-home euthanasia folks in my area, so waiting would not necessarily mean a painful or traumatic death. Someone can be to her within a couple of hours, around the clock.

I guess I’m just looking for some validation. I have a pretty good idea of what is going on medically, and I want to consider the ethical, compassionate side before talking to the vet again and developing a plan. As a cat parent, is it okay just to focus on comfort, while knowing that medicine can still work some miracles for some pets? Is it worth causing her stress to seek treatment for this stuff? Possibly death by hemorrhage while under anesthesia? Can a cat just live in a cone? Should she? Are there other considerations I may not have looked into yet?

She has had such a happy and healthy 17+ years, why should death look any different?

I know there is not one clear answer and am okay living in the grey. This just seems like a very compassionate little community with a lot of experience, so I would love some input. Most of the posts I have seen, and the situations I always considered for my cat, involve a terminal diagnosis or some very obvious signs of pain or distress. That is clearly not our situation so a little guidance would be very much appreciated.

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went through this 18 months ago with a much loved elderly dog who was 15 years old and a cancer survivor.

And weird though this may sound, I'd ask him "Scoobs, have you had enough, mate?" and the answer was no, he was fine even though he couldn't walk much and jumping was out of the question. He still loved routine, comfort, food, treats and fuss.

But one evening I noticed he was panting at rest, so I phoned the vet (24 hour availability with our pet insurance) and she said if he's breathing more than 40 breathes per minute to phone the emergency vet. He was and we phoned and he was put to sleep a few hours later. He had heart disease.

I always promised him that I wouldn't allow him to suffer unnecessarily and I don't think he did. The cancer he had a few years earlier was a 'wake up' to love him as much as we could and when it was time to let go, let go.

I also think we bring our own attitudes that we have about our own death and apply it to our pets. I'm not so terrified of death that I'd cling to life no-matter-what. I'd like to be given an injection if life became filled with pain.

I'm not sure how much help that is, but I do suggest you ask your girl when she's had enough. The answer will come (though I'm sure it'll just be part of you that will see the answer; nothing 'woo woo').

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gnamazon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Wab. This is really helpful.

I do feel conflicted because there is treatment for just about everything she has going on. When I get honest, I just don’t think she would want to do it. I think I’ll try asking her like you suggested. Not woo woo at all — we all have our own way of communicating, animals included.

I’m so sorry about the loss of your dog. I’m glad you could have such a close relationship until the end. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

• Purraise
Reactions: Wab

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May I ask what the treatment for the thrombocytopenia is for your kitty? I am not familiar with that. Do you know what the cause is or have you not pursued the cause of it as of yet?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I currently have an older cat, Chelsea, who more than likely has intestinal lymphoma. She is receiving pred and CBD oil despite the fact that there are three tests that I could have do to determine exactly what is happening and additional meds that she could take. I have had consultations with two vets about this and both were about 50/50 on the wisdom of proceeding given various other factors such as her ability to be easily handled and the stress that would be caused to her.

Very recently I had an elderly diabetic cat go to the vet for a fructosamine test and return home, only to die the next day from what the vet admitted was probably a stress related incident, so that is clearly with me especially since that girl was probably in better shape than Chelsea overall.

So, yes, I do see where you are coming from. I think that this is a new and specific judgment call for any and all animals that we own when the time comes that they are either sick or very elderly; there is not really a one size fits all.

Having said that, I have gone to extreme measures to help pets who were younger, more prone to accept treatment, more likely to live through an entire protocol. Many here have read about my now 13 year old GSD who was treated for melanoma when he was 10....amputation, immunotherapy, the works and he has survived successfully even beyond the projection of his oncologist. I knew he was ready to go through it with me though and would "understand" on some level that I was helping him.

Chelsea, on the other hand, would believe that after all these years I had decided to subject her to terror and torture.

I hope that you and your girl have more time together and that she can remain happy and comfortable for as long as possible.

gnamazon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Y’all are fantastic. Thank you for your responses.

Jem — the thrombocytopenia can be from a lot of factors, either decreased production or increased use. My suspicion is that they’re all going to the polyp (which hasn’t officially been diagnosed) to stop some kind of bleeding. Other things could be autoimmune issues, cancer, pancreatitis, infection... She has gotten three antibiotic shots for the wounds in her face so it’s not that. And labs were okay, so not pancreatitis. Treatment depends on cause, and I don’t know if it’s worth digging for the cause.

Fionasmom — That’s a really good point, and thank you for your support. So much of what I hear is focused on solution, and it’s nice to hear the experience of someone whose solution was what I am leaning toward. It seems kindest given her age and situation.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you guys so much.

gnamazon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fionasmom — The cat and I are currently waking up for the day, snuggling in bed while I check news and updates, with her happy little purr echoing through the room. Last Tuesday at this time, I was hurrying around the apartment preparing her kennel (which is actually a dog kennel... we need a big door because she fights so much when being put in the box) for her to go to the vet to get her stitches removed. I would so much rather have this morning over last Tuesday, and so would she. Your perspective with your two companions is helping me get to this sense of peace, so thank you.