How much is a gallon of milk where you are?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!!! Milk is really pricey for some of you!!!!

The strange thing around here is that soy milk is more expensive than real milk!
Then again.....we do have quite a few dairy farms about 30 minutes away, so maybe that has something to do with it.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
actually all but 1 of these posters, pay ALOT less than the people around here. at my job, its a local Minimarket/deli, && its $1.59 for a 1/4 gal, $2.39 for a 1/2, & $4.59 for a full gal. its Leighigh Valley, which around me, is a good brand. & the ppl in my town, most of them do their "shopping" at my work. so these ppl pay all that money, when walmat charges $3.50 a gal.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It once again pays to live in the dairy state.

Store brand skim is $2.79.

I know everyone thinks milk prices are high but one of my SILs/BILs have been dairy farmers for over 35 years-the farm has been in the family for over 115 years and up to about 18 months ago were not anywhere close to breaking even. For several months they were losing $30,000/month. Farmers feed costs have increased and now with the price of gas which they go through lots isn't helping. Many farmers are getting caught up on the bills they have.

My SIL/BIL in no way have a "fancy" lifestyle. Its not an easy lifestyle choice-just keep that in mind.

**steps down from podium**

katya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7.50 per gallon for Newfoundland Dairies and 9.38 for a gallon of microfiltered milk. Though I don't think I've ever seen milk by the gallon here. There's 1 and 2 litre cartons and 3 litre bags. I'm not sure how much the 3litre bags are, I couldn't use that much milk in a couple weeks without it going sour, but I think it's cheaper the more litres you buy . . .so I suppose there would be a $1-2 discount on a gallon probably.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i buy the long life milk because fresh milk will go sour in my fridge very quickly. Last time i bought it it was 60 EUR Cents which is equivalent to $1.30 a Litre. so if i convert it to a Gallon it would be $5,20 a gallon.

Although since im also lactose intolorant and just use milk in minimum amounts like in tea, milk can last me up to two and a half weeks..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We buy the local dairy milk - homogenized (3.25%) at $4.99 for 3 litres. Then daughter and I use about 2 litres of 10% Cream at $3.69 each for our coffee per week at home and I use about 1 litre of cream per week at work. I was never able to go to 2% or skim milk.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
being in the UK, i think it's £3 a gallon ($6 a gallon).

my partner worked that out LOL! i wouldn't of had a clue else!