How Much Formula To Feed Kitten?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I took in a kitten that someone found on the sidewalk. The vet thinks she’s about four weeks old. She weighed 485 g yesterday but after a huge poop this morning, she weighs 431 g (15.2 oz). I offered her canned food and she licked it off my finger but had no idea what to do when presented with food in a bowl. When offered kitten formula, she won’t take the nipple into her mouth but licks formula as it’s squeezed out of the nipple.

So back to my question. How much formula to feed her? The formula is 830 Kcal/kg or 0.83 Kcal/ml (24.5 Kcal/oz). How many calories does she need?

Also, she does not seem to understand about the litter box. Should she at this age? How do I teach her?

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! The link below covers a lot of information about taking care of kittens - including feeding schedules/amounts, as well as how to get a kitten to start using a litter box. See if it might help you - at least until others with more experience than I have can offer their first hand suggestions/tips!

Cute kitten, btw!!!!

Kitten-Rescue.com

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule of thumb i 8+ ml of formula or goats milk per 30 grammes per day.
At this moment she has say 450g, gives 8x15 such packages, ie 120+ ml of formula or goats milk during 24 hours... More if she wants. Its difficult to overfeed, but easy to underfeed.

I dont recommend formula phase II, some kittens dont manage it well. So keep on with phase 1. OR goats milk which always is an useful supplement.

As she begins to lick on wet kitten food, the amount of formula will decrease: kitten food is more energhy tight.

You can also use human baby food, for example the Gerber brand. Non flavored.
Here in Sweden we often use minced meat from cows as first kitten food.

At that age its still momma whom takes care of their wastes. As long as they are nursing her, she does. When they begin eat solids, the poo changes and momma doesnt want any longer to eat up the wastes.
Its apparent she had momma till now.

So you must help her with eliminating too. But of course, you can also begin to learn her to use the litter. Just be sure its non clumping litter.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use baby food make sure it does not contain onion or garlic, as those are highly toxic to Cats and can kill a Kitten even in tiny amounts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, StefanZ StefanZ , Talien Talien , Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I’ve discovered she will eat solid food after all and she eliminates by herself. I’m learning this along with her.

I know about aliums (onion and garlic, etc.) in baby food and I have Gerber at home for treats, but I think cat food has to be better for her, no?

And here’s today’s photo of the kitten, Tilia, and my Bassie. I call it “Me and Mini-Me.”

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, StefanZ StefanZ , Talien Talien , Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I’ve discovered she will eat solid food after all and she eliminates by herself. I’m learning this along with her.

I know about aliums (onion and garlic, etc.) in baby food and I have Gerber at home for treats, but I think cat food has to be better for her, no?

And here’s today’s photo of the kitten, Tilia, and my Bassie. I call it “Me and Mini-Me.”
Yes, Cat food is better, but the Baby food will do short term if you don't have any Cat food that your Cat will eat. If a Cat will eat Baby food you can slowly mix in more Cat food and decrease the amount of Baby food to transition over.

And good, you have a Cat that's friendly with her and can teach her stuff. That will make it much easier on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet told me to feed Hill’s a/d, as I have it at home to feed a tube-fed cat. The kitten is eating it just fine. Is that OK, or should I get actual kitten food?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet told me to feed Hill’s a/d, as I have it at home to feed a tube-fed cat. The kitten is eating it just fine. Is that OK, or should I get actual kitten food?
Its the same answer as earlier re human baby food. You can use it to begin with, but actual kitten food is better. If nothing else, it contains extra taurine which is a must for kittens. Also, the other nutriements alike proteins and fat are more correct for kittens.