How much fish is too much?

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much fish can a cat eat safely?

After several months of trying, I've pretty much succeeded in switching my cat from a mostly dry diet to wet. She's very picky about her wet food and I've learned a few things about her tastes in the process, such as the fact that she likes variety.

The problem is that I'm not sure if she's currently getting too much fish. It's an ongoing process as I try new flavors and brands, but for now she's eating fish a few times a week. The thing is, none of the fish flavors I feed her are 100% fish. She likes Weruva, so I've been alternating between Chicken and duck pouches and chicken and mackerel. She also tolerates Soulistic (which is made by Weruva). I give her the chicken in broth (Good Karma), chicken in pumpkin soup (Autumn Bounty), and Triple Harmony, which is chicken, salmon and tuna. Again, chicken is the first ingredient.

Until I find an alternative, she's still getting Purely Fancy Feast (those 2 oz. meals in the little plastic tray). I'll feed her the chicken and tuna once in a while, but she won't eat the plain chicken unless I mix it with a topper.

As a topper, I'm using Fancy Feast Broths (chicken and vegetable flavor), and it's worked very well. Sometimes when she's not into her Soulistic flavors, I'll add a little topper and she'll be more enthusiastic about finishing it. The toppers really help but here's the thing:

They have fish in them! The first three ingredients are chicken broth, chicken and fish extract. So I've started to use less topper. Usually half a pouch. Sometimes if I'm lucky I can split a pouch three ways.

I'd hate to give up the toppers because they enable me to give her the variety she needs to maintain interest in her food. I did some research and Tiki Cat toppers have the same first three ingredients (chicken broth, chicken and fish extract). Are there any brands of toppers that don't have fish ingredients?

Considering that I never feed her pouches or cans that are 100% fish and have been splitting her toppers, is she getting too much fish? There's no fish in the little bit of kibble I still allow her to eat, and she never gets fish flavored treats.The internet says the fish extract in toppers is not much to be concerned about, but I don't always trust the internet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think what you're feeding her is fine, especially since nothing is 100% fish.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonito fish flakes can be a wonderful topper for a fish addict. You can get a lot of flavor out of not a lot of topper. I would look for non fish flavors and use the flakes to bring her to the plate. With a fish addict, I would save the pure fish flavors for disguising medicine or getting her to eat when she doesn’t feel like eating. Then use the fish flakes with a non fish food the rest of the time.

https://www.chewy.com/cat-man-doo-extra-large-dried-bonito/dp/35537