How much do you spend on clothes?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never really budget for clothes. I don't buy many. A shirt or two here, a pair of jeans from Ross there. I might have spent $150 on clothes last year. Rob and I both wear clothes we had in HS (granted that was only 3-7 years ago depending on what year in HS we're talking about).

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am not a new clothes shopper, I love to get new clothes but i like to shop at thrift stores, one you get a lot for cheap, two they are already broke in and dont shrink or fade when they get washed, and i am a clutz and always get my clothes stained up so why waste lots of money when i know i am gonna ruin them. besides i would much rather spend the money on new toys for squishy!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest expenditure is for work shoes. I have a really funky, hard to find size (5EE) and the only shoes I can find that fit comfortably run $130/pair. I usually go through 2 or 3 pair a year. I find that I spend more on clothes when I am thinner, than when I'm heavier. I also spend more on summer clothes than winter clothes. I couldn't even hazard a guess on what I actually spend though. I don't keep receipts for much of anything. Must be a denial thing.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what I spend, but I know I have way fewer clothes than most other people I know, and I know I DONT buy things I want or need often because of money concerns. That said, I still dont think your total is that outrageous because it includes everything. If you work out at all, you need good shoes for that about every 6 months, and I learned the hard way that a $150 pair of shoes is worth EVERY PENNY for arch, knee, and stability support. Add in one pair of cheap sandals, boots if you need them (winter or rain), and a pair of casual shoes, and that total easily becomes $400-$500. If you need a jacket/coat for any season, a suit, or a dress - its reasonable for another 50-100, and not unusual for 200....
I buy at least 2 bras a year, and thanks to being busty, theres close to $100 there...I think most people probably spend way way more on clothing and accessories than theyre reporting, because it is easy to forget how fast everything really adds up; even if you do shop thrift stores.
Id say budget a little less than you spent last year for clothes, and then budget some "me money" that you can use to buy that extra pair of shoes or what not

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have added my my total clothing/shoes spending. I think it would be a bit scary!!
It should be less as I don't have to dress for the corporate world anymore. But I do like Talbots and Ann Taylor and if I see something I like I'll pay full price!! But I buy stuff and have it for quite some time. My sister and I swap clothes too.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what I spent. Mostly I buy my stuff as needed. I like the $5 t-shirt sales at Hot Topic, or buy plain black ones at Kohls/Target. Jeans-- always on sale, I try to pay $25 a pair. My current pair are at least a year old and still going. Last couple years I spent more than I would have liked because of an office job that was Business Casual. Don't get me started on how much I hate women's office clothes.

I'm one of those people that totally wears out my clothes before buying new. I HATE clothes shopping.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, I think what I spent this year more than makes up for me not spending anything in previous years. I got a job this year that requires "business casual" dress and I had nothing in that department, all my clothes were either t-shirts, sweatshirts or jeans. I get a lot of clothes from my Mom and sister's cast off pile....but this year I went bonkers. I literally have so many clothes that I could go 2 months without washing, and then the only reason I'd have to is cause I ran out of pants
the shirts/sweaters/blouses I have could easily last me another 2 months.

I never liked shopping until now
In my defense, I didn't pay full price for anything
I love the clearance rack! Got 2 shirts at Target recently for $5 each
and MacKenzie's right, JCPenney has awesome sales, as does Kohl's.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

sweaters/blouses I have could easily last me another 2 months.

I never liked shopping until now
In my defense, I didn't pay full price for anything
I love the clearance rack! Got 2 shirts at Target recently for $5 each
and MacKenzie's right, JCPenney has awesome sales, as does Kohl's.
Ooohh, Kohls is great too! I recently got John 2 pairs of khaki cargo pants, for $7 each, they had been $58!
JCPenny has amazing doorbuster sales on Saturday mornings, its worth getting up early & going! During the holidays, I got 2 sweaters, that were $65 each, for only $14, and the other was 50% off of that, so $14 for one & $7 for the other, seriously you cannot beat those deals!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing right now. I haven't bought so much as a pair of underwear since I've been off work.

When I get back to work later this year I have to go and buy some clothes.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only shop clearance and sales. I shop mostly at Kohl's. Scott gets most of his stuff on sale at JC Penney! I used to shop at Kohl's more when I worked at corporate and got a nice discount (which could be used on top of coupons and all sales)