How Much Did Your Kitten's Personality Change As They Matured?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious. Obviously they won't be as hyper, but has anyone had their cat pull a total 180 in terms of personality? Like they were super cuddly and playful as a kitten but they want nothing to do with you and stare at you with contempt as an adult.

When I volunteer, I get a kick out of the 8-12 week kittens. I wonder how they turned out as adults though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal. The exception to the rule is them STAYING the same as adults. I have one little female out of six cats that stayed cuddly and is always on our lap. She's really an exception because females usually are the most standoffish and want to rule the roost where the boys are concerned. But they enjoy being the boss, and the boys need the discipline. My husband always commented on how kittens seek attention and want cuddles, but as they get older it is much less frequent. I believe their personalities change much less often, a scared timid kitten, or a bold, talkative, energetic one usually stays the same through adulthood. Kittens are so full of high strung energy they are in a state of constant activity followed by occasional naps to power up. Adults need frequent naps to get enough energy for those occasional spurts they experience. One thing is for sure, they are as different as snowflakes, each has their own personality and quirks. It is as teh saying goes......Cats are not our whole life, they make our life whole. :catrub:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie has been pretty much the same since the kitten. She was always sweet and cuddly. She'd run and hide when people come, but she's getting braver.. slowly.

Monet became more affectionate as he got older. I still get surprised when he decides to crawl in my lap and stay there for more than 5 seconds, lol.

fluffytails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Luna, has acted more laid-back than a kitten, but still cheerful and energetic. She's almost one year old now. She got sick and it stunted her growth and behavior...So now she acts like a baby and clings onto me any chance she gets.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Freya has matured and calmed ( she's just under 11 months, so she's getting there), but hasn't changed much, except for becoming more physically affectionate, but that was always something I expected, she just needed to start calming down enough to sit still long enough to be petted, etc.

The only other change is that she was a relatively quiet kitten(for a Siamese, probably a bit above average for kittens as a whole), who has matured into a real talker (she even learned to say a few English words), but even that was just a trait she already had that was encouraged, rather than a real 180.

taiairam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the Sierra Foothills, near Sacramento CA
I know this thread is a year old but I am just baffled! Exactly what you described - a 180 degree change - happened!

So, my first ever foster kitten litter was over 3 years ago. It was 4 bottle babies around 4 weeks old. I named 2 of them Azteca and Inka. Azteca was a boy and he was the biggest and bossiest kitten! He would literally swat the bottle out of my hand when I was feeding another kitten and then try to drag it toward his mouth. Honestly, he was a pain in the butt! Inka, on the other hand, was the runt. She was quiet, reserved, rarely if ever talked. She would wait her turn and she was kind of a loner...she rarely played with the other 3. I LOVED her bc she seemed wise beyond her (weeks).

They were later adopted together to an elderly couple.

Anyway, today I see on Facebook - Azteca and Inka were returned after 3 years. The husband is dying and when he does, the wife is moving to Oregon and she chose to abandon her cats. I went to visit them and was shocked to see that Azteca was being advertised as shy?! What?? And Inka, the affectionate one. Double what??! So, I went to see for myself and also wondered if they'd remember me. Azteca came right out of his cubby and sniffed my face but then walked away. Inka was def. more affectionate and she rubbed all over me. Azteca warmed up to me and was rolling around inside his cubby but he wouldn't come out enough so that I could try to pick him up.

I wonder how much socialization they got with the elderly couple and how that may have affected their current personalities. I feel like Azteca could come out of his shell eventually but I am just blown away at the switch. I never would have guessed! He is also drop dead gorgeous. As a kitten, he looked like a typical tabby but he is quite the magnificent beast now!

Interestingly. I am considering keeping 2 of the kittens I am currently fostering based on their very young (3.5 weeks old!) personalities but now, I am thinking maybe I wait and adopt an older cat!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
P1000095 (1).JPG
2015-07-24 001 001.JPG
P1000079 (1).JPG
P1000095 (1).JPG
Maggie growing up with Peaches. Kitten,teenager, adult. Maggie is still very playful. She will bump Peaches off the cat condo. Rude! Will sleep on the bed though Peaches growls when Maggie gets on. Dont sleep close anymore

Last edited: