How moody is your kitty?

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate it when Mario gets in one of her moods.  It just breaks my heart because I take everything personally!

For the past 3 days Mario has really not wanted to be touched.  I go to rub on her and give her kisses and she gets up and walks away and goes to lie down in another spot.  She doesn't hiss or swat (unless I pester her to play or keep trying to pet her if she doesn't want it.)

Now, she's never been terribly affectionate; she doesn't ever sit in my lap or like to be picked up, but she's a sweet girl and likes me to wrap my arms around her and rub my cheek on her back.  But she wants none of that lately!  She's always slept next to me on the bed but lately she hasn't done that either.  Last night only once for a few minutes after her feeder went off - but I think that's just habit.  (the feeder goes off, she eats and comes back to bed)  When I tried to cuddle with her and she jumped off the bed.

Now, it could have been that I did not leave the house all weekend, and usually I do, to go work out or run errands, etc.  But I was just really lazy, so she had no time to miss me and have alone time to herself.  Or it could be that I had to take her to the vet for a checkup last Thursday; she had her rabies vaccine and her blood glucose & urine checked.  She hates going to vet.  Every morning for months afterwards she hides in the closet or under the bed when she sees me put on my clothes for work.  But she's always fine later in the day.  The vet warned that she would sleep a lot on Thursday because of the rabies injection, but she pretty much slept the whole weekend.  She would sleep, get up to eat and go back to sleep in another one of her spots.  And did not want any touching.  Even when she came to sit near me while I was in "our" big chair - she didn't want me to touch her, just sit there.

Oddly enough (previously) when she's not felt well is when she's most snuggly.  Once when she had a UTI and was peeing all over the house, all she wanted to do was lie next to me on the couch purring while I rubbed her tummy - and she NEVER does that!) and when she was vomiting a lot before I put her on meds for her IBD all she did was pester me to cuddle or play (I'm sure mostly because she was always hungry and wanted food all the time, poor thing).  I put her on the prednisolone and immediately noticed her mood changed to being more stand offish and less affectionate.  But currently, her meds are on an extremely low dosage and shouldn't affect her mood or immune system so I don't think it's the meds.  And really, there's no justification for her being a brat other than her true personality emerged after many years of feeling horrible and vomiting.  She's 12 and a senior and had IBD for at least 4 past few years.

My grandmother used to have a little cat who was the Princess of all finicky cats - you could not go to her - she only came to you.  She reminds me of how Mario has been.  Of course, it was cloudy yesterday and this morning......rain puts me in a pissy mood too.

Do you have moody cat stories?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz gets moody, she just wants to be left alone.   She jumps up on the sofa, deliberately jumps over me to the other side of the sofa, stays a second, jumps back down, and goes near the bookcase and sleeps. 

I try with varying degrees of success not to take it personally.  I tell everyone Ritz is pmsing.

Ritz is less affectionate, cuddly when the weather is warmer; she doesn't need my body heat to keep her warm.  THAT I understand, and don't take it personally.

And like Mario, when Ritz is not feeling well, she becomes more affectionate; in fact, it's a warning flag to me to watch her litter box habits. Same if during a play session, she is unusually agressive or frantic.  (She is prone to stress induced UTIs.)

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do get in moods, but they're usually moods I have created by being too overbearing, or one of them will get scared by a noise in the hallway outside the front door and will act like a scaredy cat the rest of the night.

From your description, it sounds like Mario is annoyed by all the extra attention you gave her by being home for a longer period than normal. I'm sure, even without thinking about it, you wanted to pet her more, and she didn't like that so she started avoiding you more. Everything you've described can be explained by your cat feeling a bit smothered with you around constantly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You both are so right!  Why are cats so finicky?? I'm almost never home - I leave at 9am and get back at 9pm on week days and I feel so badly leaving her alone that during the weekends I try and spend so much time with her.  I want to get her a little friend to keep her company, but it won't happen until I can move out of my apartment in a few months.

Sometimes her personality is so hard to read!  She'll come cuddle close by me, but when I go to touch her she'll nip at me like 'Just look! Don't touch!' So weird. :p