How Many Years Do They Add To Our Lives?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry this thread is about cat owne rs' health, not our cats. (I couldnt find a specifically appropriate forum for this question, so I picked the closest one).

What impact do you think having a pet cat has on the owner's general health and longevity?

Not everone agrees. Some say the owner can be adversely affected by resultant allergies to the point of reducing life expectancy.

What are your thoughts?

20151121_195349.jpg

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the length of my life can be extended by a cat but I DO know the quality of my life is greatly improved by sharing it with my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think our cats physically make me feel better. Not a day goes by that they dont make me laugh several times. I enjoy my time with them and look forward to getting home to see them. I think the positive emotions they create in me, make me healthier. They say chocolate creates some reaction in our bodies that creates peace and happiness.....improving our health. I can see the same reasoning for that occuring with other positive influences in ones life.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats dont judge or discriminate. Arnold is trying to sleep in my lap as I type this. I say "trying to sleep" as he still thinks he is a little kitten and at 22lbs he keeps slipping out of my lap. They give emotional support, unconditional trust and love as well as purpose to our lives. Ive told my wife..........if Im lying on a hospital bed dying......put arnold in my arms and I will come back.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any time I have to take Carleton to the vet and leave him I feel so lonely coming home to an empty house. He is my shadow and I can't think of anything better than relaxing with him on my lap or watching him sleep in my bed. :hearthrob: I do have allergies but the thought of not having a cat would be far worse than sneezing or rubbing my eyes. I truly believe sharing my home with a cat has a positive impact on my life.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see Carelton likes computer key boards as do our cats. Arnold stomped all over mine last night and I almost lost my work as the computer then became locked up.

That would NOT have added longevity to my life. :evilgrin:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I see Carelton likes computer key boards as do our cats. Arnold stomped all over mine last night and I almost lost my work as the computer then became locked up.
Actually that's my cat, Neely, who went to the bridge but I don't have the heart to change my avatar. Carleton is not a computer keyboard sleeper, lol. He prefers my lap. :creampersian:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have a pic of our old girl, gone almost 2 years, on my desktop....not willing to let her go yet.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I still have a pic of our old girl, gone almost 2 years, on my desktop....not willing to let her go yet.
I know the feeling, our dog passed away approx. 2 yrs. ago but his leash is still hanging in the laundry room. i can't bear to take it down. :bawling:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well gracie nearly gave me a heart attack today ! I went to throw the rubbish out and left the door open ! I caught her just in time and we had a struggle at the door, I had to pull her tail as only thing I could grab in a panic Hubby came in to me crying on the floor by the door as I thought I hurt her plus also what could have happened if she escaped as we live near a main road ! The little madam knew I was upset as sat next to me on the floor whilst I was sobbing . Think we both learned a lesson!