How many times have you been proposed to?

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
once, in my two year in college by my horrible ex. boyfriend, he told me that once we got married, i had to drop school.
after that day, i pawned the ring

( i worked to hard to get where i am now, and i will be damned if someones try to stop me.)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None yet!!!!!! However, when my SO gets a little tipsy he gets a little crazy....he'll tell me over and over that he loves me and wants to marry me. He even says, if I asked you to marry me right now what would you say? Then I say "you know what I'll say"........."You'll say no, not until we live on the farm".......... "That's right baby. Love you!"

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once, I accepted and am living happily ever after!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Seven. Three each from 2 different men, and once from DH, which I DID accept!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Three times.

The first was back in the early 1980's. I accepted but backed out 5 months before the wedding. He was very abusive and a compulsive liar. I finally opened my eyes and came to realize that I didn't want to spend my life being beaten up and constantly lied to.

The second time was in the late 1980's. I had been dating him for 18 months. He was separated and his "ex" lived in another province with some guy. I told him that he had no right to propose marriage to me when he wasn't even free to do so, and after he was divorced to ask me again. We broke up before that when I caught him in the act of cheating.

The third time was in 2000. However we broke up late in 2001 when I found out he was cheating on me. He ended up marrying the girl he cheated with. I heard from him either earlier this year or late last year. Apparently they were separate and divorcing and he said that the worse thing he ever did was to let me go. He wanted to see me again. I told him that I had moved on and so should he. He cheated once, he'll cheat again. I don't want to live my life like that. So I left him in my past despite still having strong feelings for him.
I'm glad that you could see through those guys, and get on with your life. One of my proposals (actually 3 out of the 7) was from a man who I thought was the love of my life. We were together for 2 years. At the time, I put up with his emotional flakiness, really abuse, and verbal abuse. I guess, since he didn't use profanity, he thought he could justify it, but it was abusive nonetheless. He played mind games on me (and it was a long-distance relationship). One night, when I was visiting his house, he got physically abusive, when I told him (nicely) that it was over. I really, after 2 years of thinking it over, just couldn't move there to marry him, and leave my family; as I couldn't see it working out. I got out of there--and NEVER had ANY contact with him again, even though it broke my heart. It really soured me on dating for awhile!

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can remember three times.

The first from a guy that I caught cheating on me, and he later married the girl he was cheating with--they now have two kids and are now getting a divorce. His abusive ways drove her to alcoholism. Glad I passed that one! The second was from a guy that I was with for 8 months, until he cheated. The third was from the husband I am currently divorcing because he also cheated. I sure know how to pick the winners!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrmn... well once by my ex. Accepting was a bad thing. But I have been proposed to many many times by a very good (and need I say very drunk) friend of mine. I don't think that counts though!
I love him to death - but not THAT much!!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Officially 0 but I am married.

I was pregnant, my (now) husband was talking about going to the justice of the peace and said "I guess that is my way of asking". He did not ask, I did not say yes, and we had a wedding about 4 1/2 years ago.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Officially, once, 27 years ago. We're still married.

Unofficially, once, when I was about 18. Had enough sense to pretend I didn't know what he was talking about (even though he was a total hottie, and I was enamoured, he was a compulsive gambler. Even at 18, I wasn't a fool).

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once, when I was 16. Told him I couldn't get married because my mom wouldn't sign papers. I didn't want to marry anyway - thanks mom! He turned out to be a total scum. Whew!

Another guy, we talked about marriage a bit but turned out breaking up was for the best. He was emotionally abusive. After he pushed me down the stairs, I finally realized how wrong it all was. Because it was verbal abuse, I didn't take it seriously. Physical - that I understood. God, that was an awful time. Only time I have ever hit another person in anger. I truly thought I was losing my mind for a year or so. UGH. No wonder I'm single