How many times can you re-freeze meat?

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started feeding Phaedra some chicken as a treat (well, to my understanding was a treat, but apparently she got a meal her first time, haha) and I was wondering how many times you can freeze and unfreeze meat? I bought the meat unfrozen, then froze it, thawed it to cut off some for Phaedra (not thinking about just cutting the whole thing up so I can take out little pieces to thaw at a time), then refroze it, now I have it thawing so I can actually cut it up to little pieces to re-freeze and thaw one piece at a time when I want to give it as a treat. Is this too much re-freezing and should I just get new chicken?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's probably fine, what I usually do is just thaw it enough to chop up, it's easier partially frozen anyways imo. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started feeding Phaedra some chicken as a treat (well, to my understanding was a treat, but apparently she got a meal her first time, haha) and I was wondering how many times you can freeze and unfreeze meat? I bought the meat unfrozen, then froze it, thawed it to cut off some for Phaedra (not thinking about just cutting the whole thing up so I can take out little pieces to thaw at a time), then refroze it, now I have it thawing so I can actually cut it up to little pieces to re-freeze and thaw one piece at a time when I want to give it as a treat. Is this too much re-freezing and should I just get new chicken?
You should not be thawing and refreezing all the time..... alright? Probably yes - optimum? not.
The best thing to do is to cut up the meat once you get it from the market - if from the butcher, rinse it under water, then cut it. So, the next time you thaw it, just thaw slightly - enough to cut - cut a whole bunch of pieces..... Then toss those pieces, already cut, in a ziplock bag. That way you can pick up from that baggie, only what you will serve, and defrost only that.

BTW - I don't think you need to wash that specific chicken - I think that one is already washed.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something you could do:  cut it up as soon as you buy it, and then freeze the size portions you want in an ice cube tray.  Once the meat is frozen put all the "meat cubes" in a ziploc, and grab one whenever you need it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help guys :)

I didn't intend on feeding her this chicken when I first bought it which is why I didn't do it in the first place.

But next time I do buy it I will know what to do :)