How many pets are too many?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At eight, we've built an army worthy of Mordor. They don't all live inside, but that is by their choice, not ours. They are welcome. One is feral. I feel we could trap him for vetting if needed, as he has become tame enough to stay on the carport all the time. We make sure we don't have more cats than we can afford to care for (if a stray showed up, he or she wouldn't be turned away, however). DH is retired, so they get plenty of attention. And DH is a clear favorite. He went to a friend's for about an hour tonight and Elsie walked the floor, waiting for him the whole time he was gone.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet care definitely has to be a consideration. I have had one cat with a chronic illness that was expensive. Even without a chronic illness the cost of vet care increases with age. The vet clinic I go to recommends a checkup every six months and annual bloodwork for seniors. I have a young cat now so it is annual with bloodwork every other year. She is FIV positive which I knew when I adopted her, wasn't planning on that but when I went to the rescue she had other plans. Even though she is young she goes for her first dental on Jan 8. Dental issues are very common with FIV cats and dentals are expensive.