How many people foster?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am surprised at people who foster without a separate room to keep them in - it isn't just the risk of transmitting diseases, there is the temperaments of the cats and the constant comings and goings that could stress your own cats - what would you do if you got a cat that really hated other cats, they could attack one of your own cats? I keep mine isolated for the first two weeks in case of illness and so I can see them on their own and assess their personality. They then get an hour or so out of their room to see what they are like with other cats, but that is it, as it is my cats home and I dont want them having to constantly deal with all these cats. I did used to do things slightly different, they used to get more time out, but I currently have a long term foster who hates cats, plus I have the foster with calici. The only time I do things different to that is if i have either a long termer due to age or a terminally ill cat, they will get slowly integrated (although the three terminally ill cats this year still had a lot of time in their own room for varying reasons).

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to agree with Bootigger - even though I have the separate room, my cats are a bit more jumpy/nervous when we have fosters. The last cat we adopted stayed for a time on the porch, so maybe they're not sure who's staying and who's not!

I have had to cover the door on occasion as one of ours, Gracie, is high strung to begin with. She's gotten so nervous, she's spent the entire time we've had fosters gobbling her food and then vomiting.

It is a little unfair to the resident cats because you can't really explain it like you might with a foster child. If I find it's made a real difference in the health of my own cats, I'll stop. No, wait - I'll find another way - maybe build a second home and do it there. Ah, fun to dream, isn't it?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep all cats or kittens I rescue to foster separated from my cats until they have been vaccinated, tested negative for FIV/FelV/etc, have a clean bill of health and have been wormed at least twice.
My cats don't usually get stressed when they meet new animals, they're used to other pets being around so it doesn't bother them (I've only brought in kitten-aged cats though.) I do have one cat who doesn't like other cats bothering her but she is used to other cats being around too and the others learn very quickly to leave her alone (she won't fight or anything, she will just hiss and/or swat once if another cat comes too close.)

Actually my youngest cats (1 year old) loved it when I had that temporary "foster" kitten, they were all excited to have a new playmate.

Here's a photo of the kitten and Harlequin cuddling:

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Keep in mind there's always the chance that while fully vetted, tested, etc - they could still have something. I had a kitty for 2 weeks once, then wham - ringworm!
There were no other signs until one day. So you always run that risk.
yeah that! I am just on the tail end of this situation. Thankfully, I keep a segregation room and change clothes in and out. Still, doing the 1:10 bleaching of the house and foster room clothes in an attempt to eliminate spores is a big PITA.

I foster/socialize feral kittens and they are not tested for anything prior to coming to me. I pay for everything, including first vaccinations before they get sent off to be adopted. I don't do any of the adoption process at all.

There is always a risk when fostering, but I really don't want to discourage anyone from doing it. The rewards are immeasurable. We all just need to be well informed and foster how it fits our situations.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were in your situation, I would look into the possibility of taking fosters from other foster homes where they have already been 'isolated' and shown to be illness-free, and then let those homes with isolation areas take in new kits.

I know that might put stress on the kitties i.e moving around, but it will make it possible for more cats to be saved overall and will reduce risk to your cats.

Just be sure to establish your criteria up front and to let the shelter know you do not have a realistic isolation area and you need cats that are definitely "safe" i.e. ideally that will come from another foster home that is free of illness and that the animals have been fully vetted, tested/are ok, wormed, treated w/revolution etc. etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I am surprised at people who foster without a separate room to keep them in - it isn't just the risk of transmitting diseases, there is the temperaments of the cats and the constant comings and goings that could stress your own cats - what would you do if you got a cat that really hated other cats, they could attack one of your own cats? I keep mine isolated for the first two weeks in case of illness and so I can see them on their own and assess their personality. They then get an hour or so out of their room to see what they are like with other cats, but that is it, as it is my cats home and I dont want them having to constantly deal with all these cats. I did used to do things slightly different, they used to get more time out, but I currently have a long term foster who hates cats, plus I have the foster with calici. The only time I do things different to that is if i have either a long termer due to age or a terminally ill cat, they will get slowly integrated (although the three terminally ill cats this year still had a lot of time in their own room for varying reasons).
My cats are VERY used to other cats of all ages coming and going. And I totally understand what you're saying about the temperament thing. However, I require that any cat that comes into my house be okie dokie with other cats. I can be pretty much be sure of this because I make sure that I only take in cats/kittens that have already been in other fosters for a long time with other cats, or been at the rescue for a long time (it's a VERY small rescue, not like a shelter or anything. One lady runs it, that's it
) so I somewhat know the temperament and personality before I get 'em. And if ANY problems arise, I can immediately on-the-spot have them go back to the rescue. And I agree 100% with what you say about it being your cats home first and foremost. My main thing when I foster is that my cats come first. Everyone else comes second, because like you said this is their home and not the fosters.

(I should probably note that for the first day or more if needed, I do keep the new fosters in the bathroom. But it really gets tough when it is the only bathroom in the house. Plus it's a smaller bathroom. Old house, old rooms
)

It's really great to hear so many people foster. It's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done in my life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

If I were in your situation, I would look into the possibility of taking fosters from other foster homes where they have already been 'isolated' and shown to be illness-free, and then let those homes with isolation areas take in new kits.

I know that might put stress on the kitties i.e moving around, but it will make it possible for more cats to be saved overall and will reduce risk to your cats.

Just be sure to establish your criteria up front and to let the shelter know you do not have a realistic isolation area and you need cats that are definitely "safe" i.e. ideally that will come from another foster home that is free of illness and that the animals have been fully vetted, tested/are ok, wormed, treated w/revolution etc. etc.
Yup, we're on the same page. That's one of the reasons why it's so hard for rescues/shelters to place them with me. I'm INCREDIBLY picky when it comes to the type of cat/kitten that enters my home. Like I'm so picky that if the cat is not fixed but has 110% of the other stuff that you mentioned, I won't take them. My kitties come 1st!!!
yes indeedy!