How many of you are bookworms?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I will probably start doing that again soon because I have 16 books to read now.
I have plenty of books to readtill the Harry Potter book comes out. Anyone else waiting for that one??
i went to the library yesterday, because our spring break is this coming week. i checked out 15 books...
i'd like to say i'm waiting for the new Potter book, but the reality is i'll probably check it out of the library 2-4 months after it comes out. unless i'm really lucky & catch it in there one day...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else here like the Lindsey Davis series of Falco (detective stories set in ancient Rome)? I love them for relaxation and received the latest one, Saturnalia, just published, from Amazon two days ago. I read it at two sittings. Her books are so well researched, you really learn so much from them as well as being good stories. I also just finished 'Stalin - at the Court of the Red Tsar' which was a fantastic insight into what it was really like in post-revolution Russia. And I love old travel books, to see what it meant to cross the world before the days of cheap holidays and television. 'The Desert Road to Turkestan', written by my old professor, Owen Lattimore, describes a journey by camel in the 1920s across Mongolia, a really scary trip. I never read it as his student, but came across a copy by chance a while ago and only just finished it last week. After both of those I am now rereading Edgar Snow's 'Red Star over China', a journalist's look at the early days of the Chinese revolution.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll read anything, anywhere. If I pick my husband up from work and he's not quite ready to leave I've been known to pick up the phone book and read the yellow pages.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Does anyone else here like the Lindsey Davis series of Falco (detective stories set in ancient Rome)? I love them for relaxation and received the latest one, Saturnalia, just published, from Amazon two days ago. I read it at two sittings. Her books are so well researched, you really learn so much from them as well as being good stories.
nope, but i always like hearing about new authors/series i might like... a friend told me about the 'dresden files' series, which i've been watching on tv, but didn't know was a book series first. so now i've got a couple of new authors to try out!

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love to read too! As does my whole family. We still share books together, reading aloud when we are together or over the phone when we're apart. In this manner I am currently reading: 1 book myself; 2 with my father; 2 with my mother; and 1 with my sister. It might be rather Victorian or Edwardian but I love it!
Catfriend

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My favorite types of books to read are pure junk food for the brain: horror stories (hate horror movies but LOVE the horror/vampire genre in print.) I refuse to read anything "How To," "Self-Help" or along the lines of Harlequin Romances. Those romance novels are too formulaic for me - just change names, dates and places, and the story is exactly the same. Boy meets girl, girl hates boy, boy ravishes girl (historical romance) or boy pursues girl, then girl decides she loves him, happily ever after.
I think I love you!

I love to read, and will read a lot if I have the time. I am currently going through a Jodi Picoult kick. That will be over when I have finished all of her books.

I have been reading adults books since I was a child - started reading Stephen King when I was 11 - I would read Christine over and over again, and got to know it so well.

Now, my taste in books is so hard to please - I have a hard time finding a book that I can really get into.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another bookworm here!
I am a huge reader and a fast one at that so I go through a lot of books really fast. I just got done reading the latest Jodi Picoult book (thought it was great), otherwise I'm a fan of biographies, "chick lit", and fiction. I am always open to hearing suggestions, I like buying books in pairs, lol, and I need to go to the store and buy some more!

Originally Posted by neetanddave

Bookworm here! I read 2-3 novels a week, several magazines, two daily newspapers, all the online news I can get hold of, soup labels, the toothpaste tube, etc..... I have it bad. I used to get in trouble in school fo reading AHEAD of the lessons and not paying attention to what was being discussed that day.
Lol, same! I find myself reading everything! And when I was younger, I used to put my textbook in my lap during class, then on top of that I'd put whatever book I was reading... of course I would get caught! And of course now that I'm a teacher, I caught one of my students doing that!

Okay, worst moment... getting caught reading in the shower... not bath, shower. Lol!

I can read a book in one sitting, I have to force myself not to because then I start skimming through the pages. But I'm a person that hates surprises and I HAVE to know what's going to happen... sometimes I'll flip to the back to see how it ends and then continue reading... awful, I know!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I think I love you!

I love to read, and will read a lot if I have the time. I am currently going through a Jodi Picoult kick. That will be over when I have finished all of her books.

I have been reading adults books since I was a child - started reading Stephen King when I was 11 - I would read Christine over and over again, and got to know it so well.
I love you, too!

I never heard of Picoult - what genre?

I have every single one of King's books, most are first editions, one is signed, one is worth over $100 and I found it at a yard sale for 50 cents.
I really enjoyed his latest, Lisey's Story.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Picoult...hard to explain her genre - more of social commentary, I guess. Her novels are different. She usually has a twist at the end. I am currently reading My Sisters Keeper which is about a sister who was born to save her older sisters life and she decides to stop it.

Check out her website www.jodipicoult.com - her latest book, Nineteen Minutes is about a school shooting.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Does anyone else here like the Lindsey Davis series of Falco (detective stories set in ancient Rome)? I love them for relaxation and received the latest one, Saturnalia, just published, from Amazon two days ago. I read it at two sittings. Her books are so well researched, you really learn so much from them as well as being good stories. .
I recently "discovered" these books. They are a lot of fun and interesting too.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfriend

I love to read too! As does my whole family. We still share books together, reading aloud when we are together or over the phone when we're apart. In this manner I am currently reading: 1 book myself; 2 with my father; 2 with my mother; and 1 with my sister. It might be rather Victorian or Edwardian but I love it!
Catfriend
That sounds wonderful. What a great idea. I used to love being read to when i was younger. Now, I really enjoy audio books in the car for the same reason.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My favorite types of books to read are pure junk food for the brain: horror stories (hate horror movies but LOVE the horror/vampire genre in print.)
Last week I read: Out of Egypt by Ann Rice and an Odd Thomas novel by Dean Koontz.
Have you read the Witching Hour? That book, the first in the series, was great. It inspired me to take a trip to New Orleans.

I also really enjoyed Mists of Avalon. Which isn't horror, more fantasy about King Arthur times.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like to read, dont get as much time as i would like to do that,
maybe 3 books a month or 2. Depends on how much free time i have.

hehe i used to love the idea of sitting out on a deck with nice big book, smoking a pipe
lol i used to smoke back then

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of my kittens will let ya read to them... Well it is suppose to me to Chandler but they will lay with him and whiskers in the book fold lol

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an enormous bookworm and I read when ever I can.
I love all kinds of books, pretty much anything from non-fiction, biography, to R L Stine's teen horror novels.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love R L Stine, someone was selling one of his at the car boot sale I went to last weekend. i love reading kids books (have about 10 to read) and find myself watching what books I pick to read when, as I dont want to go to work with some kids book!!