How many litter boxes?

mybabybutters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 cats 1 huge little box, I had two boxes but they only like to use 1, they don't even touch the other one! I don't understand, it's the same litter and all, I even tried to put some messy litter on the other box but it never works, they just like the one's they've had since they were babies.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 5catsandcountin

I agree, mine do the same thing. I see many others have more than one box but the cats choose to use a certain one anyway.....I just don't see the need for 1-2 boxes PER cat when everyone does fine on 2 and actually chooses one over the other. You can have just as much of a *health issue* with one dirty box...having 2 per cat doesn't help their health if they are dirty too.

Of course as mentioned before, we sift them out twice a day...I just cannot fathom having 6 or more boxes...the cats know where it is, just like me and my 5 other family members know where one of the two toilets are...no need for 6
Well, it's not so much a health issue from my perspective, as some cats will not go in a box another cat has gone in. And cats (such as my silly Peaches) won't go pee in the box she poops in and visa versa! I don't know how but she seems to have the other two cats trained that came after her! But if two cats will go in the same box and one can keep up with it, then that's great also! I think anymore then 2 cats with one box is a stretch and not fair to the cats. I also scoop my boxes out twice a day. Peaches won't use a dirty litter pan! She's such a picky princess!