How many is too many?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ceehorne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow that is a handful! It sounds like you have a great set up though. i think kittens are addictive, can't have just one!
Denise

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two cats would be my max. For one thing, an apartment under 1,000 sq. feet would not comfortably hold more; we'd always be stepping on kitties.
Secondly, I own two birds. If I had more than two cats, I'd neglect my birds. (Birds are also addicting, but I know that two are my limit with them; I wouldn't clean three cages as frequently or thoroughly, and I don't want to shortchange my pets.)

Right now, my only cat, Simon, is happy as a lark. But I intend to get him a female Ragdoll buddy down the road.

Jenk

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just read all your replies with amazement. We have one cat, and it looks like it will stay that way. Jamie started exhibiting behavioral problems at 6 - 8 weeks (he was being fostered in a household with three resident cats that took in his mother, him and four siblings). I had planned on taking two of his brothers, but he was all over me, and the people from the humane society said he needed a home with no other pets and no children. He was so aggressive that I took him home at 10 weeks, a good month earlier than planned. He really dislikes other cats and children, but he likes dogs, which I find odd since he had no exposure to them before coming to live with us (he and the dog next door are great pals). He's a terrific cat - lovable, playful, well-behaved. But a loner.

gurlpower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have two
kitties now, and am looking for a championship-type kitten, and also 7
:kitty5: feral kitties outside my backyard.

i feel that kitties are like babies: they need a lot of attention, care and love. i think if you have the time and attention for all of them, then it is fine.

But for me, even with two kitties, they proved to be a bundle!! (of joy and WORK, i mean!!) Hehe!
:blubturq: :blubturq: :blubturq:

i guess to each its own.

Anyway, my hubby and myself agree that it is great having our kitty-babies!! When you give love, you receive love!!

Cheers!

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have 10 right now, but I used to have 16...My grandma took all but 2 I got to give away to the pound, and if it wasnt for me the rest would be gone too...I have to put them in paper this week...She doesnt want to feed them...and would rather murder them then help me give them away...All of mine are tame except for 3 and I am worried for them. There is one adult female..she has never tamed...I fear she will be murdered since we think she is pregnant...
Poor kitties every one cross fingers!!!! Oh and having alot is WONDERFUL I plan on starting a kittie feral house when I have money. I want to have as many as possible..I love to tame them and they all like me. Mine follow me everywhere and I can meow and they will all run up to me and stuff like I'm there mother...My family/friends wonder if I arent a cat too...*laughs* fine by me cats are fun!!!

iceangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have 2 cats and thats enough for me! i used to have 3 but i found out it was getting too expensive for me , plus i rent and our house isn;t very big so it was getting a bit crowded. i ended up having to give tone of the cats away cuz it was just too much. my friend and her bf took her in and she was well looked after till they broke up and they gave her away back to the cat shelter which i had originally got her from! i feel bad about getting her now, cuz chances are they proberly put her down if she doesn't find another home for her!
she was fully microchipped, vacinated and sterilized too!

they put down about 1500 cats and kittens a month at the cat haven when they don't find a home soon enough..its really sad cuz u see so many full grown cats there and noone wants to see them cuz everyone wants to get kittens!

in australia its law that if u have more than 2 cats u need a breeding licence to have them, even though u may not be breeding them! and whats really crap for me is that many landlords here don't want people who have pets to kive in their rental properties! its really hard for me to find a place to live where i can have my cats