How many is too many?

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seven. That is pushing the limits for the size of my house. Also most of my cats are set in their ways at ages 8 & 9 (Fluffy is the baby at age 4) and would have real problems accepting another cat. Poor Stumpy has problems with the ones I have now. She's my anti-social girl. That would be the major issue in any decision to take in another cat. Financially, I can afford more and the additional work of litter boxes and feeding would not be a problem.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I wouldn't ever want to put an absolute number on this. We have three and it's a comfortable number for us. I would consider more, in the right circumstances, but what are those circumstances? I don't know. Cross that bridge when we get there.
my current limit is 4, but that's because there's no more places to put litterboxes. if i ever move to a bigger house, i could get more cats, because i'd have more litterbox room. so IMO - too many is when you can't afford to keep them fed & cared for [clean boxes, vetted, etc.] as long as you can do that, there's no such thing as too many!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I live in a 5 bedroom double wide....it's a 58X28,we have 4 skin kids and DH and I.So, with the 4 kits and Blaze,we really are at our limit for space also.
I just get to thinking about what if's and all that.Like what if there is a an emergency and I have to go to Michigan and board 5 cats.That kind of thing.Also,with Nikki going through the ring worm thing,what if all of mine got that and so did my skin kids.That would be HORRIBLE for us finacially.DH makes REALLY good money,but still there is a limit to what we can afford.

Yup, I agree with you Tammy
. I am definitely fortunate that I cought the ringworm right away and was quick to seperate myself from my other furbabies. And thank goodness, Colin didn't mind me "quarentining" myself and Kenzie at his house since Colin and Fosters already had it before we realized it. It's bad enough treating two people and two animals (especially since my immune system is down at the moment)....but I can't imagine how much $$$ it would cost to treat my 4 kitties, wolf mix, and rabbit at my house, and my mom- so thank goodness, I have somewhere to go now that I have ringworm to help prevent my other furbabies from getting it...but many people do not have that option if they need to seperate themselves from their furbabies or children so that they do not get it or anything similar. Thankfully, i think i'm FINALLY healing up...but I still am not going to my house much or to the animal shelters I volunteer with at all (could you imagine treating several entire shelters for ringworm
...)....So I definitely can't imagine what you would do if your four children, you and your hubby, and all of your furbabies got it- that is definitely something to think about
You're right on that note

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I definitely can't imagine what you would do if your four children, you and your hubby, and all of your furbabies got it- that is definitely something to think about You're right on that note
Yep!!! That would be too much.
but outsiders.....well that is whoever shows up.
We will keep any that show up outside, until we can find homes for them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Yup, I agree with you Tammy
. I am definitely fortunate that I cought the ringworm right away and was quick to seperate myself from my other furbabies. And thank goodness, Colin didn't mind me "quarentining" myself and Kenzie at his house since Colin and Fosters already had it before we realized it. It's bad enough treating two people and two animals (especially since my immune system is down at the moment)....but I can't imagine how much $$$ it would cost to treat my 4 kitties, wolf mix, and rabbit at my house, and my mom- so thank goodness, I have somewhere to go now that I have ringworm to help prevent my other furbabies from getting it...but many people do not have that option if they need to seperate themselves from their furbabies or children so that they do not get it or anything similar. Thankfully, i think i'm FINALLY healing up...but I still am not going to my house much or to the animal shelters I volunteer with at all (could you imagine treating several entire shelters for ringworm
...)....So I definitely can't imagine what you would do if your four children, you and your hubby, and all of your furbabies got it- that is definitely something to think about
You're right on that note
It actually only costs $60 to treat 5 cats with Conofite cream & Fulvicin liquid & the dogs get treated with COnofite cream only, so that's only $15...plus, you need to do anti-fungal baths & thats $40.....I didn't treat anyone but my lil sis, so that was only like $10(Lamisil).

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 9 cats. I will soon be adding one in late November which will bring me to 10. I see my vet once or twice every month for scheduled vet visits for shots and checkups. My vet just loves me.. in more ways than one. So unless we add a few months into the year I'm going to have to stop.

I didn't vote because it depends on the person and the situation they are in. My situation allows me to have 10. I have the space, time, and money to have 10. We also have the water dragon, iguana and three dogs. Yes, my family jokes that I should open my very own petting zoo but they will
also be the first to say that my cats are so spoiled and that I treat them better than my 3 boys!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
LOL! Sounds like my life!

Best of luck!

MargeCat

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three right now and are thinking about adding a forth.
I think that's going to be our limit for now...four cats , four kids and a husband are about all my nerves can handle right now.

BUT, if a little furball showed up on my doorstep I'd never be able to turn it away...I'd just have to go to the Dr. and get some nerve pills

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It actually only costs $60 to treat 5 cats with Conofite cream & Fulvicin liquid & the dogs get treated with COnofite cream only, so that's only $15...plus, you need to do anti-fungal baths & thats $40.....I didn't treat anyone but my lil sis, so that was only like $10(Lamisil).
The price for Conofite varies on the amount you purchase and the amount of animals you're treating as well as their size and the size of the ringworm patches. However, If i didn't get my conofite for free (the one perk that comes along with volunteering is some medication for free)....I would currently be paying to treat......all four of my cats, 6 foster kittens, two dogs, and a rabbit- which cannot use conofite - the treatment for rabbits is much more expensive. Not to mention, my mom recently had major surgery, so any risk of infection from ringworm could greatly compromise her health (another reason i'm at Colins
)So far i'm out over $180 between shampoos ($16 per bottle/ I bought two), vet visits for my own animals and not the fosters, and other medications, because the conofite didn't work for everyone. That doesn't begin to cover what it's cost me recently when Colin and I got ringworm. The Mentax is $35 (with insurance) every time I refill it- i've refilled it 4 times. Also, i've had to shell out $$$ for 2 dermatologist visits. Since the Mentax didn't work, they put me on an oral medication which was $50 (on my insurance) ....that gave me an allergic reaction and thrush in my mouth
So I had to spend another $10 for presciption mouth rinse to get rid of the thrush. (it works awesome!! it's all gone now
) ---so yeah, It's definitely costed me a fortune lately to treat ringworm. Money I don't have since i'm looking for a 2nd job just to make ends meet. So ringworm is definitely not cheap to trat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you imagine treating 4 skin kids,5 cats/kits,1 pup,2 adults?No thanks!!! I'd cry.Plus Shawn works with a TON of men and they shower together.............so they would most likely get it and pass it back and forth.The kids would spred it in school and then just keep passing it back and forth also.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are at our limit, we have 5. And that's all we're allowed to have in an apartment haha. And that is definitly enough for us hehe.

Oscar- 1 1/2
Misty- 1 (that's a guess, she was found so we're not exactly sure how old she is)
Tiggy, Lex and Patches - 7 weeks