How many is too many cats?

belissima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by lambton cat

Yer right, the problem with the old lady was the cats ran the house not her, she offered me a sandwich after wiping the knife she had just put the cat food out with on her apron
So did you eat it????

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the idea of you have too many cats when you can't afford to care for them. I've had up to 9 at one time and I think that would be my max limit. that was 5 litterboxes too, cleaned everyday, and that I could do without, but I love having lots of cats. Right now 2 seems to be lonely

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too many is if you can't get them fixed. Too many is if you don't know each one by name, or for recent arrivals if you can't tell the basic story of the cat's origin.

Numbers mean nothing. It's how well they're cared for that matters.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please remember...along with enough money to care for each cat, in the event of a health emergency or long term illness...
over time, your circumstances might change.

No matter what your age, be sure that arrangements are in place, for the lifetime care of all your kitties, in case something should happen and you could no longer care for them.

So many adult cats are surrendered to shelters because this was not taken into consideration.

This video will remind you why this is necessary...
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80408

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you count the 2 ferals that I take care of, I have 13 (with 2 dogs). Yes, it's a handful but even my vet claims that all of them have won the lottery when they wandered into my life. It's a lot of work to take care of them all but it's worth it. There are days I wish I could be down to about 7. When we went house hunting, the big criteria was to get more space for the critters. Yup, we're upsizing on behalf of the cats!

Too many is when you can't afford them financially, cannot take care of their emotional and physical needs, and can't take the time with them.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel that I could handle one more. I won't take anyone in permanently, though, so I have at least ONE spot open for a foster as kitten season begins and the shelter gets full and has to depend on foster parents.

I do think 4 is my limit. 2 was good, 3 is a full house (full of love!) and 4 would be the clincher
That's for my sanity, theirs, and my ability to fund their care.

emma79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had 2 for 5 years. Got Corty from an animal shelter on New Years Eve 1999. Then Rascal came into my heart October 2000.

I'd put off getting another little one. I just recently adopted a little kitten from a local vet. He passed away back at the vet clinic the other day. I don't know the actual specifics, but had some kind of lung problems that he couldn't pull through.

I doubt I will get another. It's just too painful to lose them. I think my babies are enough for me.

But, for those who can, I think as long as the whole family (humans, cats, dogs, fish, birds and whatever other species might inhabit the home) is happy, healthy, well fed and in no risk......then thats up to the individual to decide how many is too many.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should the worst happen with me, I have a home for all 6 to go to together.

For me, at the place where I live now, I have the 6...and it's perfect. I have enough time, money, patience and endurance to keep up with them, and they all get lots of love and attention. All of them are healthy, happy, and loving, so I figure we're all doing right by each other.

In the future, should I move to a larger home, I will definitely get a few dogs...and maybe another cat or two. Rescues, of course...all of my pets have been, and will continue to be, rescues.

Just a note; with my 6, and the fact that I smoke, it consistently amazes me that people can't tell I've got that many, or that I smoke. It has to do with the ionic cleaners I have, the fact that I stay on top of the litter, and every day, unless it's terribly cold, the windows are opened for a bit; no use in having a beautiful spring breeze scented with flowers if one keeps their windows closed. LOL!

Best-
Michele

emma79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, if something was to happen to me in their lifetimes and I was no longer able to care for them, they would go to my parents or best friend.