How many hours a day is normal for a kitten to play?

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 month old male DSH kitten. He seems extra energetic, needing play sessions several times a day or he causes havoc entertaining himself. He's a really sweet kitten the rest of the time, chilling with the family, but I had no idea kittens could play this much! 

Is it normal for a kitten to play hard for an hour in the morning (dawn or a little before), then 20 minutes or so every hour or two, and then another long play and stalk session at dusk, then again around 10, and 2 am? Actively jumping, stalking, tearing around the house, demolishing toys, and stealing things to get you to chase him. 

We have balls, stuffed toys, flat toys, things to bat around, wands, a box tower, random boxed to play in, and I walk him on leash (or we are working on it).

Is this normal? When does it slow down? Is there anything I could buy/do/make that would help him burn energy faster?

The short sessions are fun, but the hour long hunt and play is something I am going to need to deal with before it gets too cold outside.

I don't remember my other cats being so hyper so often, maybe I am just getting old. 

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I assume kittens are just like people! Some of them rather hang out with you (yet still active), and some are just... REALLY ACTIVE! The easiest (as long as space and finances allow it) way to burn energy faster would probably be... to get another kitten. 

Your kitten sounds pretty normal from what I've read on this site, though. I too have a kitten - he's five months old now, used to be extremely active but he slowed down around 4.5 months in. I also got another cat who tends to chase and wrestle with him so that really helped when it comes to depleting his energy. Now at five months my kitten seems a bit lazy, and he's gained a bit of pudge. Both cats were most active around 3am, so I think your kitten being active around 2am is pretty normal just basing off of my own experience. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed that he slows down eventually. So far he's just been getting more active, but maybe it's just a phase.  Maybe I will invest in some kongs or something so he has a few toys he can't demolish. All the kitten toys have been a joke so far. Completely shredded in hours. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He loves to swim too, so maybe he could play in the tub sometimes. 

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, if you haven't yet you may want to schedule a few "meals" a day. I would do four meals a day if possible, but three can work too. Play with him extra hard before those meal times. After playing and having a big meal he'll probably just want to sleep... Maybe you can do once in the morning, once after work, and once before bed time? This may also help him get into a routine.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely normal for an over active kitten! 
 I have one. She's a girl who seems to hardly take naps, anything that moves including her own tail is prey, and she ignores my hisses, NO, time outs for bad behavior. My legs and thighs are scarred from her jumping up on my lap whenever she wants no matter what I am doing at that moment. 
 But she is a sweetheart 

But I do believe it won't last.  He will slow down. In the mean time, hide stuff you don't want him to steal, add more of the toys or things he likes to play with (or demolish like cardboard boxes). Put up cat trees or add empty shelves where he can climb and jump. In other words, think of ways to increase activities he can do himself to burn off all that energy.