how many have 2 cats with 1 litterbox?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always thought the old "1 per cat plus 1" rule of thumb was silly. Based on the replies to this thread I think that even more.

I wonder how many people have decided not to get an additional cat or not get a cat at all because they thought they would have to have a house full of litter boxes.

I know in some cases that number of boxes is needed but it seems to be the exception not the rule. I think people should be told that *worst case* they *may* need 1 per cat plus 1. I think that is the more accurate statement.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I know in some cases that number of boxes is needed but it seems to be the exception not the rule. I think people should be told that *worst case* they *may* need 1 per cat plus 1. I think that is the more accurate statement.
I follow Pam Johnson-Bennett's recommendation of 1 box per cat. So I have 2 boxes for 2 cats. Before we moved, and when Raven was still with us, we had 3 litter boxes.

I had 1 per cat plus 1 when we first adopted Stimpy. I was unsure how territorial the new cat would be. Since then we've gone to 1 per cat.

filteredsunlite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had up to five cats using 2 litter boxes. We're currently at 4 cats to three boxes, but that may change back down to two once I have them all switched over to the CleverCat box (very closely resembles the cut-down storage container pictured above, but which has a sturdy platform that helps my older girl get in and out of it).

Largely, I think it depends on your cats' personalities. My ex had a flame-point siamese that would NOT, under any circumstances, share a litter box. If someone else dared soil his precious box and it not be scooped before he went in there next, he'd sniff it, turn and leave and go straight for our laundry hamper.
Our neighbors knew his name because they could hear me in the laundry room screaming, "OAKLEY!! BAAAAAD BOY!! NAUGHTY CAT!!" In the end, he went to a new home where he could be the only cat and we advised his new owners of his maintence requirements and that he needed to stay an only cat. The last I heard, he was doing great there with no problems what-so-ever.