How many hair balls is too many

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old is a short haired tabby who grooms regularly. Her behavior and eating is normal but she's been throwing up alot of hairballs...around 4 this month and they're pretty large. I am planning on a vet visit but was curious if its a big concern?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A hairball is at least once a month. Wet food helps and brushing every day. Wipe her with a wetted towel after brushing.. my cat is also a short haired tabby.
Does she throw up every day? What time? The vet will probably give her laxitone
Throwing up can hurt her esophagus so I would be concerned if it's often

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are treats for hairballs like the Greenies. Or you can try a hairball gel. Vet told me that I can feed whatever amount as long it doesnt cause diarrhea. You can try giving it to your cat 1-3x a day at least for the first couple days and then go from there. And then maybe start giving it every other day. I give my cats the Tomlyn brand, catnip flavor and they love it.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hairballs being normal is a common misconception, imo. I’ve had a Maine Coon for nearing 2 years now, and she’s never once had the issue. Hair should pass through with the stool in a cat with a healthy digestive system.
Hairballs can be caused by not enough moisture in the diet/dehydration, tummy upset, a low fibre diet, or over grooming. Malt paste or a bit of egg yolk can help pass fur the ‘right’ way, as can a bit of pumpkin purée (not pie filling as that has added spices).

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Agreed with Maury, hairballs are not a normal issue and ime often diet related. My two short haired cats never throw up hairballs or anything really.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give mine a teaspoon of butter, it has almost zero lactose and helps to pass hairballs. Hairballs are supposed to pass out through the digestive system as stated above. You can increase fiber, a little canned pumpkin mixed in the food, add a teaspoon of olive oil to the food, get hairball treats, and brush her as often as you can. A hairball a week is NOT normal, she is overgrooming possibly to allergies, etc. Maybe probiotics would help too.