How many cats is too many?

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The size of your place is going to determine how many is too many. If you have 10 cats in the house formaliy owned by any celeb, then 10 might be fine, but 2 bedroom apartment, it would get a little cramped.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take care of 13 cats and 2 dogs and am constantly questioning myself if I have too many. If I didn't, then I would be worried about being a horder. There are 2 things that I've done to calm my concerns. I have had folks from the humane society where I volunteer over to my house and asked for feedback on whether my household is being managed well. I also seek feedback from my vets to make sure that I'm doing all I can to keep them healthy. I've passed both counts.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its all about finances, time, space...as pointed out in the posts above.

I find that there is a general public view (outside of TCS) that owning multiple cats (I mean more that 2 or 3) is viewed as 'weird'. Like its unacceptable, unless you are a fosterer/cat rescuer or elderly lady living on her own! I always get asked why do you have so many cats? How do you cope with them? . I have 5 cats and they are a joy to 'cope' with. Im not an anti-social recluse. Im not a weird cat lady. I just love cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minxie

Its all about finances, time, space...as pointed out in the posts above.

I find that there is a general public view (outside of TCS) that owning multiple cats (I mean more that 2 or 3) is viewed as 'weird'. Like its unacceptable, unless you are a fosterer/cat rescuer or elderly lady living on her own! I always get asked why do you have so many cats? How do you cope with them? . I have 5 cats and they are a joy to 'cope' with. Im not an anti-social recluse. Im not a weird cat lady. I just love cats!
The general public view is making me worried, but I'm like you I love cats, I like to just sit in my living room and watch them play. They are quite entertaining. I'm not an anti-social recluse either, and I'm not a weird cat lady. I just enjoy pets and I feel my home is large enough so far, I wouldn't want anymore than what I have and I'm trying to find homes for a few of them, but sometimes I feel I'm being picky in where I place them, it's so hard to find good loving homes for cats.

I don't understand why it's so unacceptable to have as many pets as you are able to care for?

Thank all of you for your feedback, it's good to know there are others out there with as many cats as I have.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
The most we had at one time was 4 and that was when i was little. Now the laws have changed, you need a liscence to have more than 2, and were in a different area. We've pretty much had 2 cats for the last 10 years or so. We've lost so many it's put a big stress on us. And now that there are at least 2 or 3 unregistered unneutered cats around here we have to keep an eye on them more. And as you know Chuckie has his first injury since moving house last June.

neighbours

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm at my financial and emotional limit with the three that I have. Sometimes I think I'd like another, but with all the vet bills, special foods and medications related to Cleo's renal failure, another kitty is pretty much out of the question.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I'm at my financial and emotional limit with the three that I have. Sometimes I think I'd like another, but with all the vet bills, special foods and medications related to Cleo's renal failure, another kitty is pretty much out of the question.
We all do the best we can. And if that means we can only have one or two kitties, that means one or two in better homes rescued from a shelter.
I would love to have another but i know it wouldn't happen for years. Anyone who has an animal is doing a good thing and you aren't any different. Even with stretching your money you are diong a wonderful job with your sick kitty. Alot of people might break under the pressure of it, it just shows what a good person you are.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Its however many you can fiancialy, physicaly and emotionaly care for. dont worry I get all the crazy cat lady comments too..
I agree. The number of cats you should have varies between people. Someone could have 20 cats, be able to have the time and money to take care of them properly. I wouldn't consider that to be too many. But then another person could have just one cat, and not have the time or money to care for it properly. In that case even one can be too many. So it really depends on the individual. Not going over the number of cats you can comfortably take care of is the determining factor.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well figured I'd add to this. 24 cats here-all fixed along with 4 regular feral cats-live outside(also fixed) They all eat a decent dry cat food with clean living area. I take extra care on keeping litter box odors down(go to bjs weekly for litter to point they know me...along with the spay clinic who knows the car
There is a city limit and they require them to be licensed-I never did that just due to don't want to be known cat owner(all mine are inside only except the ferals who came with the house-who have since been taken out of the reproduction cycle
The people I got my first kitten from prove the one can be to many-they had female who went on to have many litters...in a year they were up to 18 or so cats/kittens and did nothing to clean up besides tryingt o kick all the cats out one day. If they are happy, don;t fight all the time(mine have thier moments but ingeneral get along just fine-you always catch a few piled up together, cleaning ears and wrestling) and have enough space to get away if they feel the need I think your ok. I have more then I thought I would but sadly age sorta keeps my number stable...I started taking cats in 96 and over years have lost quite a few to old age(I tend to take adults in cause those are usually the ones dumped out or passed along from home to home) right now I don't expect to take any more in at all.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the vast majority of what everyone has written before me. It's about the number of animals you can give proper care. You just need to honestly recognize your limits.
Currently I have 2 kitties, 2 dogs, and a rabbit. That's our limit, especially financially, right now and when our financial situation changes and we have more space we plan to add another animal, but only when we're ready.
And I definitely agree that one pet to be responsible for is too many for some people. In fact I personally know people I don't think should have pets at all. I think we've all run across a situation like that.
But, yes, 15 cats may be smooth for some, while I know is just too many for me right now when it comes to money and space.
And also many, many people run into a rut financially and have trouble with some costs, but when you can no longer care for your animals' basics you have too many, IMHO. That's why I won't get another pet for a while because I'm at my limit for the time being.

Originally Posted by ClaireBear
I agree. The number of cats you should have varies between people. Someone could have 20 cats, be able to have the time and money to take care of them properly. I wouldn't consider that to be too many. But then another person could have just one cat, and not have the time or money to care for it properly. In that case even one can be too many. So it really depends on the individual. Not going over the number of cats you can comfortably take care of is the determining factor.
I definitely agree.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrayFluffy

I don't understand why it's so unacceptable to have as many pets as you are able to care for?
I think it is more about lack of exposure than anything else. Most people only hear about someone having a large amount of cats when hoarding is involved or the cats are being a nuisance to neighbors. If there isn’t an issue no one even notices, so no one sees the lengths responsible owners take to care for their cats regardless of numbers. I think that is also why you commonly see people misuse the terms “hoarder” and “collecting” when talking about someone with a lot of cats. I think a lot of good owners are afraid to talk about the number of cats they own because they don’t want to be labeled at such or are afraid it might cause trouble, which is a shame because then people don’t ever get the chance to see that people can provide quality care for a large amount of animals.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is a limit to how many cats you can have - even relative to how much space you have. And it depends on the temperament of the cats too. I have two, but we're living in 63m2 and we have two girls. It was a miracle that we managed to get them to accept and like one another, given that they're not related and there is a two year age gap. Plus the fact that the one of them is brain-damaged! I think our older girl has accepted that Bootie isn't "normal" and can't jump - but it's wonderful to see them lie together and play games

If I could, I would take them all, though.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with everyone else, im in the same situation.
i have 8 cats that are mine , well they let me live here. i have a stray who comes and goes as he pleases.
i have another who im looking to find a good home for , i have a mum and 2 kittens aswell.
i was going to keep the mum and kittens , but recent problems with money i have had to find homes for them , so once there 12 weeks old and mum is spayed they are going to a lovely home all 3 of them , a friend of mines sister in law is homing them, and paying for the spays and kittens injections while there still here. which is fantastic , but i relised it just wouldnt have been fair to keep them here.
so for now i will not be taking on any more cats/kittens , but it wont stop me rescuing them if needed.
i get called the cat lady aswell lol. but some people hear how many cats i have and look disguested with me , so unless there close friends and family i dont bring the subject up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

, so unless there close friends and family i dont bring the subject up.
I can't even bring the subject up around family. Some of family fits into the "general category" of thinking it's not normal to have more than a few pets. My friends don't care and they know the care and time I put into taking care of them.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were a retired millionaire, there would be no limit. I would probably be sitting at somewhere near 50-100.

Since I am not a retired millionaire, I would say that the only limit should be time and money.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 is my personal limit since I have 4 dogs to care for as well.

I think if you can properly feed, afford medical attention, and have the time to spend with your cats, etc... there is no limit but you shouldn't get in over your head.
same goes for dogs, horses, and any other animal IMO.