How many cats do you have? (feral and all)

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 indoor-only, female, orange tabby cat. She was found as a skinny stray 6 months ago. I wouldn't call her feral since she was declawed when I found her so she was someone ele's at some point.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm relieved to see that there are several other people with "only cats" here - I've been attacked on other sites for having just one. JC has been here since July of 1999. At the time we had one full-time indoor-outdoor feral, one part-time cat (we took her in in 1987, but she injured our dog so often that she had to be moved to a neighbor's, but spent several hours a day here anyway), and anywhere from 6 - 9 that showed up to eat and/or sleep in our furnace room every night (a note for those of you who think they have to give their cats their freedom every night - these cats had homes, but considered our place their "home away from home", since we had a cat flap for Straycat to come and go as he pleased). Once JC moved in, at 10 weeks, he managed to drive all but Straycat, our feral, away. We had to keep the two apart for three years, because JC made Straycat's life hell when they were together. After Straycat died, we knew that JC would have to be our "one and only" cat. He's great with dogs, ferrets and large rabbits, but very nasty with other cats, kids, and men who are afraid of cats. I was warned that he had a problem with other cats when I adopted him. I get upset when people tell me it is wrong to have just one cat; I'd love to have another, but my first responsibility right now is to JC.

glentheman20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's just bizarre that anyone would attack you for having just one cat. I know that your circumstances require it, but even if that was your preference, what difference does it make? Oh well, there are some strange people out there.

I have 2; Snowball is the stray that decided to stay with me, and she's an outside kitty (I make sure she has a nice setup outside of course!). The other is Shadow, a feral I neutered at 2 years old. He used to be very skittish, but now after about a year he will sit 5 feet away from me, but won't let me get any closer than that. He even meows at me.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by glentheman20
Wow, that's just bizarre that anyone would attack you for having just one cat. I know that your circumstances require it, but even if that was your preference, what difference does it make? Oh well, there are some strange people out there.

I have 2; Snowball is the stray that decided to stay with me, and she's an outside kitty (I make sure she has a nice setup outside of course!). The other is Shadow, a feral I neutered at 2 years old. He used to be very skittish, but now after about a year he will sit 5 feet away from me, but won't let me get any closer than that. He even meows at me.
That sounds like Straycat. After 6-9 months (he was about 8 years old when we took him in), he would rub himself against our legs, but he didn't let me stroke his head until after a year had passed (although he would follow me around the house). My husband could never pet him, but Straycat followed him around the yard, and stayed near him indoors. He always had something to say, no matter what my husband was doing. We still miss him a lot.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would any body attack you jcat for having only one cat ? I don't get that . I think each person is differend and have to respect that . I think it is ok for having just one or two cat/s or 20 cats , as long people can take care of vet care , play, food and water . Saying that , I also get critisized (sp) a lot of having so many cats by people . They think I am crazy .

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by PurrfectCatlove
Why would any body attack you jcat for having only one cat ? I don't get that . I think each person is differend and have to respect that . I think it is ok for having just one or two cat/s or 20 cats , as long people can take care of vet care , play, food and water . Saying that , I also get critisized (sp) a lot of having so many cats by people . They think I am crazy .
Many people, including some, but not all, animal behaviorists, believe that having just one cat isn't "artgerecht", i.e., appropriate to the species. While I would agree that if you are outside the home at work for most of the day and have an active social life, particularly if you live alone, it would be best to have at least two cats to keep each other company, I don't think this can be regarded as a universal rule. It really depends on the cat, how many people are in the household and their work/school schedules, whether there are other pets, e.g. a dog, etc.. What really annoys me is that some of the people on the other forums who attack members for having just one cat are often the ones asking about inappropriate peeing, siblings that suddenly stop getting along, cats licking themselves bald, and so on, and I wonder if stress is the trigger.

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Jeepers who's a tabby and Axl who's longhaired and ginger. Axl lives with my dad cos I moved a couple of months ago. Axl has lived in the same house for 10 years and loves my dad best anyway so we decided it wasn't fair to force a move on him. I got Jeepers after I moved and I wish I'd got her a pal! After she's been done (hopefully some time this month) I'd like to get another.

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blondie a 10 yr-old Aby/classic Tabby mix. She looks like a ruddy abyssinian with a faint classic tabby swirl pattern "under" the ruddy ticked coat.

Lily a 4 yr-old Bengal or Ocicat/Aby mix. She has the look of an Oci or Bengal with her spots but has the ticked Aby coat. She also has a white chest and paws.

Autumn---Without a doubt half-Abyssinian. She has the purebred ruddy Abyssinian coat over most of her body. If she sits with her back to you, she looks exactly like a purebred Aby, the only thing is that she has a white chest/neck, white legs and a small part of her butt and thighs are white. Her Aby part of her coat even has the very short fine soft/ "minky" feel to it.

All are adopted
You can see Lily and Autumn on the "fur pictures only" thread.