How many calories should I feed cat with fatty liver?

MarkC112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She currently weighs 11 pounds but has lost weight and is jaundiced. I am able to syringe feed her.

Elkile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Sorry to hear your little one is ill. I am not sure what caused the issue to begin with, but if you are syringe feeding I am thinking you are trying to get through a bout of hepatic lipidosis…..maybe? If so, I know that a small amount of food often is the best bet. I once cared for a cat with this condition, and we fed her one syringe every hour. She recovered. In terms of number of calories to provide, I’m not really sure, that’s a question for the Vet in the morning, but in terms of getting through the night, a little bit often should get you through. Best wishes to you and your little one.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully you have spoken with your Vet by now and have more info on how much to feed, etc. Cats with fatty liver need not only food, but also typically they should be getting some liver supplements, and depending on what caused them to stop eating, medications for that. For instance, if it was an infection that caused it, then they would need antibiotics. If it was pain, then they would need pain meds. And so on.
I had a cat years ago with Fatty Liver, and having a feeding tube placed was the best thing we ever did. It just made life so much easier. We were instructed to feed him every four hours, day and night. And we did it for months on end until he started eating on his own again.

Hoping your little one is soon on the road to recovery :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: