How long will you leave your cats by themselves?

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't leave mine for longer than 24 hours without having someone come to feed them and scoop litter. I have a good friend from church -- another spinster 'crazy cat lady' LOL -- who looks after them while I am out of town and another friend -- who's really a dog person, but is good with cats too -- who spells the first one as needed.

I have never kenneled my girls, but I guess if I had no choice I'd do it. It would definitely be second choice, though. I think most cats would prefer to stay in their familiar home territory, even if Mom and Dad are gone.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went out of town for a week in October. My mom came by twice a day and was under strict instructions to spend an hour with her each visit to play with her and spend time with her. I was worried sick while I was away. I thought it would have been more stressful for Dori to be brought someplace else than for her to stay at home though.
I would have never left town if my mom wouldn't have been able to check in on her twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We've managed to get someone to check in on them everyday except one day, and I think I am comfortable with that.

We're taking down our tree and will do our best to 'kitty proof' the house. I know I will worry about them the entire time, but it can't be helped.

I think having them home like this would be much less stressful than a cattery - especially for Timothy, who has been abdonded twice and then adopted. At least he'll be in his own home with his toys and sister, and therefore not so stressed out.

It's nice to know I am not a horrid mom, and that others have faced this too!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've left mine from Friday afternoon till Sunday nite with no problems - just made sure they had an extra bowl of food and TWO extra bowls of water - water is more important then the food.

Longer then that, you need someone to check on them.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punchy

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We've managed to get someone to check in on them everyday except one day, and I think I am comfortable with that.

We're taking down our tree and will do our best to 'kitty proof' the house. I know I will worry about them the entire time, but it can't be helped.

I think having them home like this would be much less stressful than a cattery - especially for Timothy, who has been abdonded twice and then adopted. At least he'll be in his own home with his toys and sister, and therefore not so stressed out.

It's nice to know I am not a horrid mom, and that others have faced this too!
I'm so glad you found somebody!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've gone 2 weeks with a daily sitter. My sitter is a vet tech who knows my cats so knows how to recognize any change in them. When I had less cats, I have left 5 days with no sitter one time. They survived while I worried the whole time.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ksakkos

I have a little question for everyone how answered that he has left the cats alone for more than 24 hours....its ok about food and water..but how about the litter box..? do you have an automatic one..?
i see you've already found someone, but since i was one who leaves them, i thought i'd respond. i have 2 littermaids, 2 auto waterers. i leave plenty of kibble for them. when whoever goes to the house tomorrow, the girls will get some wet food. i'm planning to go along if i'm up to it.

abbigailgreysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, you guys are going to skin me...but I've left Abbigail (she will be 16 in january) home alone alot. Being a single woman until this year (I'm 32 years old) Abbigail was very used to it just being me and her since she was about 6 years old. When I was an Admissions Counselor at a college I would be gone for as much as one week at a time, my landlords whom lived right next door would stop in and see how Abbigail was doing. She has always been and probably always will be a very independent cat! I called her vet today and he advised that she will be just fine while we are away for Christmas since she doesn't take to boarding at all. The vet office informed me that alot of cats that are put in boarding for the holidays do not eat while there. So, IMO, I think it just depends on your situation and your cat's temperment. My cat has never been overly energetic or mischievieous (sp?), she has always been just fine. So, do what's best for you guys!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbigailgreysky

okay, you guys are going to skin me...but I've left Abbigail (she will be 16 in january) home alone alot. Being a single woman until this year (I'm 32 years old) Abbigail was very used to it just being me and her since she was about 6 years old. When I was an Admissions Counselor at a college I would be gone for as much as one week at a time, my landlords whom lived right next door would stop in and see how Abbigail was doing. She has always been and probably always will be a very independent cat! I called her vet today and he advised that she will be just fine while we are away for Christmas since she doesn't take to boarding at all. The vet office informed me that alot of cats that are put in boarding for the holidays do not eat while there. So, IMO, I think it just depends on your situation and your cat's temperment. My cat has never been overly energetic or mischievieous (sp?), she has always been just fine. So, do what's best for you guys!
i leave mine alone, too - i'm single! but i have them checked on every few days - they won't starve or get thirsty 'cause i leave plenty for them. sometimes they make a mess of something, but it's not a big deal. i think it depends on the cat(s) & the owners.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think in general cats are much more independent than dogs, and can stay home for a day, or maybe even two if you have the right set up to ensure fresh food and water.

But if they have never been alone for long, 8 days with only an hour a day to start and then every other day would really worry me. I work fulltime, and occasionally do things in the evening, so I know if I was gone 24 hours my cats would be fine. (Well, not now because I have 7 babies in the house!
) But over an 8 day period, it would be too easy for a kitty to stop eating or something.

I'm glad you have someone coming almost daily. I would try to encourage someone to stay overnight if possible. Then the kitties could get more attention, and just know someone is near.

Best of luck. Make sure the sitter has the vets phone # in case your Timothy has problems.

sillykitty3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think cats have the same perception of time as we do. They know schedules, but I don't think time as in hours and days are detected the same by cats. In the summer I am gone almost every weekend, I have someone come and check on the cats one or two days to make sure they have food and water clean litter and that there are no problems, and they seem just fine when I get back. They act no differently to me coming home after being gone a weekend or just being out for the day.