How long will this go on

chrismon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had the first kitten 3 week, Ms Kitty, and second 2 weeks, Xochtil.  Both are sneezing and Ms kitty has a weeping eye.  She has eye drops and for sneezing we have a "tonic" the vet created.  They were shelter cats.  Giving them the eye drops or the tonic is a nightmare.  MS kitty turns from sweet kitten to a roaring tiger and Xochitl is just behind her,  Husband and I look like war victims.  How long will this go on?

They both eat and play and I thought by now ms kitty would have improved .  I worry that they are getting stressed by it.  I ordered some L-Lysine as I am desperate.  Please tell me if your kitties recovered from this.  In desperate need of HOPE.

Thanks Monica in TX 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are thay?  and how do you give this tonic, by mouth or into the eyes?   Do you know what it contains?

Anyhow, L-lysine may be a good try.  It helps not so seldom.  What dosage are you planning to give?  (I myself dont know the exact dosages.

Its not unusual for ex shelter cats to get some uri or similiar problems.  Some they have from the shelter, in some degree it may be the change of the milieu, ie  its stressing in a way...

I will ask a mod to move this your question to Health Forum.  I reckon you will get more answers there.

Good luck!   @Chrismon

ps.   When administering the medicines, wrap them up in a thick towel.  Immobilized, they cease fight and are much easier to handle.

Scruffing is another option.

Good you are two at these maneuvres.   :)

So have also thick protective clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Is it possible to put the tonic in their food? The issue with that is that they may not eat enough to get the full dose, but it sounds like you're having trouble getting it into them anyway. Even a partial dose may be better than nothing.

Do you know what is in the tonic?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrismon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your rresponse.

We have tried the towel wrap, scuffing and friends with experience.  Ms Kitty is 3 months old and Xochitl is 4 months.  We were given both eye drops and a liquid tonic that includes is an antibiotic, a drug for herpes in the acyclovir family, plus Benedryl.  If they were to take it they would be OK.  We are returning to the vets for help today.