How long until Cat Scratch Fever takes effect?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had workers in our home the past 2 days and DH got totally clawed up this morning as he picked up our normally placid Koko to put her in our sun room for the day. She was scared by the workers, and did her best to get away from DH. He has massive scratches on his face and hands (will leave scars), and about 5-6 hours after it happened, he came down with a fever. His hands are clearly swollen from the scratches, and it's hard to tell if his face is actually swollen.

Does anyone know how long after a bite/deep scratch is made before you can contract Cat Scratch Fever? I'm hoping he's just got a flu bug and this wasn't caused by Koko, but it there is a chance he has it, I need to push him to the doctor tomorrow morning for antibiotics.

Thanks.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After hearing the description of the severity of the cuts, I think this could just be a normal bacterial infection. Cat claws house lots of bacteria, and a deep scratch would implant that well below the dermal layer. Clean the cuts with hydrogen peroxide and have him take an anti-inflammatory. See if that helps, and if it doesn't he will need to see a doctor. I know when my skin feels puffy after a cat scratch I use some peroxide and it keeps the swelling down and cleans out the cuts

It could also be cat scratch fever, but that is highly unlikely at it usually takes 1-2 weeks to take effect, and it is represented by red papules around lymph nodes.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

After hearing the description of the severity of the cuts, I think this could just be a normal bacterial infection. Cat claws house lots of bacteria, and a deep scratch would implant that well below the dermal layer. Clean the cuts with hydrogen peroxide and have him take an anti-inflammatory. See if that helps, and if it doesn't he will need to see a doctor. I know when my skin feels puffy after a cat scratch I use some peroxide and it keeps the swelling down and cleans out the cuts

It could also be cat scratch fever, but that is highly unlikely at it usually takes 1-2 weeks to take effect, and it is represented by red papules around lymph nodes.
I do the same any time Google gets me (please read that as on a daily basis) and it usually goes away. The first hour or so its puffy and itchy though!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch! My niece had cat scratch fever when she was 2 (20 years ago now) and it was horrible. The place affected wasn't the site of the scratch as the infection targets the lymph nodes. Keep the scratches clean and medicated ointment on them. He can soak his hands in warm epsom salt water to draw out any infection. It won't sting. For his face, you could use a washcloth dipped in the epsom salt water and dabbed on the scratches. If necessary, get him to the doctor tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks all!

He's still running the fever this morning and it's surprising cause he doesn't really have any flu like symptoms.

The worst of the scratches are on his face. There's one slice that goes down from the base of his nose to the bottom of his upper lip. The width of the scab that formed fills the indentation in the skin in that area. He still can't fully flex his fingers on his right hand - that one got it bad also.

I still can't believe that Koko did this. She's normally so calm with people.