How long to keep cats inside after using insecticide

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My neighbor and I have adjoining lawns and both were affected with European cranefly grubs. So my neighbor put a granular insecticide on it to kill the grubs. I can't remember the name of the insecticide. (I have a terrible memory problem!) But it was supposedly a "second generation Diazinon," presumably better for the environment than Diazinon.

My cats are normally allowed outside during the day, but I've kept them in the past four days since he applied the insecticide. However, my cats are very vocally complaining about their confinement, and at times drive me nearly bonkers. I was hoping we'd have a good heavy rain to dissolve that stuff and wash it into the ground, but we've only had some light rain a couple of days. One of the cats I can let out on the second floor deck, which will appease him somewhat, but I don't dare let the dominant cat out there. He is an escape artist and would just climb down.

How long would you keep them in?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the EPA website on Diazanon, after it has been applied, it should be watered into the grass. Once the grass is dry, wait several hours before allowing children or pets on the lawn.

So I'm guessing you should be clear to let them out. If you are still concerned, water the grass thoroughly, then let it dry again.

Sandy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Woohoo! Thank you, thank you. My kitties thank you. It is raining again now; the sun was out when I wrote the original post. My dominant cat normally refuses to go out in the rain, but after several days inside, even that didn't deter him this time.

And I am happy because my step-daughter is coming for the weekend. She is allergic to cats. So I was hoping I wouldn't have to keep them inside the whole time she was here.