How Long To Full Weight?

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I am owned by two British shorthair kittehs called Percy and Barnaby. They’re 11 and 10 months old respectively. I thought by this age they would have reached full adult weight (which I understand can be between 7-9kg and sometimes even bigger). They’re both around 4.5kg, however, and they don’t look like fully grown adult males.

I just wondered... how long does it take for BSH cats to reach full size? Do we just have two small specimens?! We feed them enough and they have a pretty healthy appetite. Struggling to find reliable info online and thought those with experience in this community would know!

Thanks

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Generally id say a cat takes 12-18 months to reach full size, but not 100% sure in all breeds. If you're sure they're eating enough and your vet is satisfied, I wouldn't worry. Our vet has a weight check appointment clinic that I take my kitten to. Our vet said that kittens are pretty self sufficient and they judge them more on their body condition, rather than weight at this stage (shes 4.5 months old).

My kitten is currently approx 2.3kg where as I had a very small cat who was around 4kg at full size.

If concerned, maybe just give your vet a call?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Do the kittens look underweight or just small-boned?

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not the most experienced person on this matter, but I was told that BSHs don't reach full adulthood untill they are two years old. Also, cats usually grow until they are 18 months old. So my (uneducated) guess would be that they still have some growing to do :)