How long should they stay on appetite stimulant?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My vet isn't calling me back.
I've been giving my cats Mirtazapine, the topical one that goes on the ear.
Been 3 days since they were on it and today's the first time they had a normal appetite.
Should I stop, or give it a few more days to ensure they continue to eat?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually stop as soon as they start eating on their own again. I tend towards not wanting get someone dependent on medications. Just keep and eye and start using again if it isn't good enough.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot depends on why they need an appetite stimulant to begin with. You have multiple cats on this med?

If your vet isn't responding, you can do what was suggested above, but you may have to start the Mirataz back up if your cat doesn't continue to eat after stopping it. However, you need to keep bugging your vet for answers to your questions either way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
A lot depends on why they need an appetite stimulant to begin with. You have multiple cats on this med?

If your vet isn't responding, you can do what was suggested above, but you may have to start the Mirataz back up if your cat doesn't continue to eat after stopping it. However, you need to keep bugging your vet for answers to your questions either way.
I wound up calling my regular vet who promptly got back to me. Thankfully she had gotten his records from the emergency vet. She advised at least through the weekend on the stimulant