how long should the side effects from vaccines last?

beansprout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my cats into the vet on Friday, they both received FVRCP, Feline Leukemia & Rabies. Both were droopy Friday & into Saturday with decreased appetites. Oliver seemed to make a turn around by Saturday evening, but Quincy is still not himself. He seemed more affected from the start, & his rear quarters were very painful, a gentle touch on his rear leg sent him running. He ate once on Saturday evening, & didn't even come to the bowl this morning. He doesn't seem painful today, but I'm concerned about the long term side effects with him. He is just over 18 months, so this is his second year receiving vaccines & I do remember last year was very similar, but I don't recall him experiencing pain last year. Should I be worried? Is there something that can be done so next year won't be so rough? I do have to vaccinate, I travel for my work & have to board the boys, they won't take them unless they are vaccinated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my kitties had the pain with his one year booster, he even had trouble getting up.  It does seem to be lasting longer than usual.  If he still isn't back to normal by tomorrow, at least eating normally, I would give the vet a call.

I wonder if spreading them out would help.  I know it's a hassle but it may help.  You could have the vet give the rabies shot which most states require the vet give that one.  A vet tech can give the others so hopefully it would be just the cost of the vaccination and not another office call.  Spreading them out is better even if kitty tolerates them all at once well.  It's less taxing on the immune system.

tretred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering how your cat turned out.  Mine is on day three of not feeling well since his vaccine.  Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beansprout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Quincy started eating the third night, but strangest thing,not his regular cat food. He wouldn't touch it. I changed his food, but left Oliver on the original. About a week later he decided the original was OK. Maybe you should call your vet. I always worry when the cats don't eat.