How Long Should I Keep My New Kittens Confined?

mike758

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two kittens, a male and female, 8 weeks old. When I brought them home yesterday they never left the cage. This morning I went inside the room they’re in and they were out and about. One of them peed a little on the floor but that was it. When I got home from work today I saw that they did use the litter box and they did eat. The male instantly ran out of the room and the female followed behind so I let them explore a little bit. They didn’t try the stairs, but they explored my bedroom and the bathroom and were quickly comfortable. I had a hard time getting them back in the room.

As far as behavior, the male is willing to approach me and be held but the female still won’t approach me. He is also very adventurous, and the female only follows his lead.

I’m thinking I may keep them confined again tonight and let them out for good when I get home from work so I can keep an eye out. My house is smaller (1500 square foot) and very kitten proof. My biggest concern is them going to the bathroom outside the litter box, and also damaging furniture. The male likes to scratch the carpet and I yell “no” when he starts. I also have various scratching posts I’m trying to train them to.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you obtain a few more litter boxes if you're going to let them roam? At 8 weeks, these tinies need to have boxes fairly close at hand :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely keep them confined to a kitten-safe room when you aren't home. But when you are there to supervise, it should be fine to let them roam the house.

But you probably won't want them roaming, until you're sure they are using the litter box properly. Also, do ensure you use an enzyme cleaner to clean any litter box accidents, as it is the only cleaner that will totally remove urine scent. And if the kittens can smell where the male accidentally peed, they might think it is ok to go there again.

Here's a few TCS articles with a bit more info:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture