How long on seeing LID results?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good morning all.

Fancy has now been on a limited ingredient diet for 3 weeks for tummy troubles. I know the vet said 13 weeks on the trial. But how long before I see results? The poo smell has changed a little, but it still smells awful. Last night we were cuddling and suddenly I felt like I was cuddling a skunk.

She's on a rabbit LID protein diet. I'm going to need to order more soon, and I was wondering if I should ask my vet about a different protein, or give it longer on the rabbit.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
13 weeks minimum sounds about right, honestly. I'd give it at least another 3 weeks before considering changing proteins. Are you currently offering probiotics? Adored Beast's Healthy Gut and Gut Soothe are great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
13 weeks minimum sounds about right, honestly. I'd give it at least another 3 weeks before considering changing proteins. Are you currently offering probiotics? Adored Beast's Healthy Gut and Gut Soothe are great.
I've been doing Fortiflora. I've used that whenever my other cat Delilah has tummy issues.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also possible that there's something else in the food -- a thickener like agar-agar, which made both our cats vomit, or some sort of vegetable matter, for example -- that's causing the problem. Potato made one of our cats smell terrible (she had bad breath and really awful gas) but that problem went away almost as soon as we took potato out of her diet. She hadn't even been getting much of it: it was a thickener in a few foods that were in the cats' rotation, which was pretty large at the time.

Good luck!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll take a look at the foods she's eating. It's all Instinct. Before she was on Fancy feast. When I adopted her 4 months ago they were only feeding her Authority kibble which she was barely eating.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic to use. It's really only good to get inappetant cats to eat because of the animal digest.

Human probiotics can be used. A wider range of CFU counts and bacteria strains and quality control.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll take a look at the foods she's eating. It's all Instinct. Before she was on Fancy feast. When I adopted her 4 months ago they were only feeding her Authority kibble which she was barely eating.
Are you doing the Instinct Rabbit LID kibble, or the Rabbit LID canned food? Some cats do better in digesting the canned food versus a kibble.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you doing the Instinct Rabbit LID kibble, or the Rabbit LID canned food? Some cats do better in digesting the canned food versus a kibble.
Both plus the LID topper. I keep the kibble in my timed feeder for the 2am hungry kitty food drops. Also she won't just eat the pate or just the kibble. So basically I take some pate and mix it with water to make a "gravy" for the kibble then put some topper on it. Sometimes she won't eat that. She'll eat the kibble with the topper or the pate with the topper (I wish they made a nutritionally complete food in the same form as the topper - she prefers that consistency to the pate - and I tried cutting pate into chunks but she wasn't having it).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could well be the peas, which are the second ingredient in the Instinct LED dry rabbit food I checked. Legumes can certainly contribute to problems with gas...

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the problem started long before the instinct.

sweetleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both plus the LID topper. I keep the kibble in my timed feeder for the 2am hungry kitty food drops. Also she won't just eat the pate or just the kibble. So basically I take some pate and mix it with water to make a "gravy" for the kibble then put some topper on it. Sometimes she won't eat that. She'll eat the kibble with the topper or the pate with the topper (I wish they made a nutritionally complete food in the same form as the topper - she prefers that consistency to the pate - and I tried cutting pate into chunks but she wasn't having it).
Just a warning/caution about the topper, it does have guar gum which can cause stomach upset. My cat does extremely well on the instinct lid rabbit wet/dry, but I have a hunch that the topper doesn’t sit well with him.

I would also consider a different probiotic, just in case there’s something in the fortiflora that doesn’t agree with her.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now she's being a little stinker. Everything I was doing before she's not wanting, so the Fortiflora seems to be the only way to get her to eat it. I've had some meals where she'll only eat the kibble with topper. Someone needs to come up with an LID rabbit non pate. I wish the Instinct minced cups didn't have pork - I'm sure she'd eat that more easily than trying to get her to eat the LID pate.