How long on Hydrolyzed food to see improvement

Melsyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. My cat had been vomitting every night at the around the same time for a couple weeks. He was otherwise fine, eating, drinking, playing, etc. I took him to vet and they did a complete blood work up and exam. Everything was fine with that. They suggested an ultrasound to see if there was IBD. The cost was very high, since I just did all the blood work etc, so I opted not to. They said to change him over to hydrolyzed food..The first one I tried he hated...so after about a week, switched to another which he likes..He is still vomitting daily though, occasionally skips a day. Not sure if it takes more time, or it could obviously be something else causing it. He is on the Royal Canin dry food now.

could he be allergic?? He seems to vomit shortly after eating the new one...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
3 to 6 weeks.

He shouldn't be able to be allergic to the hydrolyzed protein as the body doesn't resemble it as protein.

Changing around the food can also cause vomiting and it takes a few weeks on a regular food to sort out.

Have you tried wet food? Dry food when taken to the tummy, absorbs the water and bloats up. (You can try this in a water dish on the counter. It grows large!) It must do this before it digests and then it becomes too much and the cat throws up.

Magnus cannot have more than 10 or so kibbles (size dependant) at a time. However, he eats wet food well and we did the hydrolyzed version of that for his food trials..I can't remember the brand but we moved quickly to Purina chicken and Rice EN. He has a beef and beef by-products allergy. Took a year to sort out. And likely carrots too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melsyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The hydrolyzed wet food he hated. I tried Hills and Royal Canin..It is SO expensive! Is the EN different from the hydrolyzed? Maybe I can try wetting the dry food and then give it to him? Its all trial and error I guess. Thanks for commenting though!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does he only eat one meal per day? It seems odd that he only vomits after the evening meal if he eats more than one meal in a day, IF it's food related.

Is it possible for you to feed him several small meals through the day to see how he handles it? That is, of course, if wetting the dry food doesn't do the trick.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it vomit or just regurgitating after eating? I've had several cats who just INHALE their food and then shortly after - up it comes. The food generally is mostly whole or it at least is very identifiable as food. I worry more when it's other liquid from their gut.

Melsyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The latest dry food I have been keeping out. It seems to be an hour or so later when he vomits. This particular one more than the others. I am going to try to wet it, and also have a new wet food ordered for him to try. When this first started happening, it was ONLY at night time and it was food, digested looking food, so like a paste and not whole bits. Before this vomitting even started, he was only eating dry foods with no issues. I did not change the food or have any other changes in the house. The vet said if it is indeed IBD then the hydrolyzed diet would be a solution. I just can't get the right one. He is otherwise healthy..Plays, runs, etc. He is 15 pounds so not losing weight at all.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The hydrolyzed wet food he hated. I tried Hills and Royal Canin..It is SO expensive! Is the EN different from the hydrolyzed? Maybe I can try wetting the dry food and then give it to him? Its all trial and error I guess. Thanks for commenting though!
Yes. EN would be fine as long as he isn't allergic to chicken.

You can 100% try wetting the dry food to see if he will eat it first.

It is totally trial and error to solve digestive issues. So I wish you the best.

Are you elevating his food?

Melsyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the food is elevated for him. I will keep at it and hopefully we can find something that works for him. It is no fun having a vomiting cat every day! I am sure its no fun for him as well :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, the food is elevated for him. I will keep at it and hopefully we can find something that works for him. It is no fun having a vomiting cat every day! I am sure its no fun for him as well :)
Try to stick with whatever he can eat for a few weeks. Food change can make IBD flare ups too.

Something with pumpkin might be good. Lots of rescues here use that to reset the tummy.

Melsyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update- the vomiting finally stopped and Toby was doing great. Stupid me figured I could give him regular and less expensive food. He was fine for a couple weeks then the vomiting began again. I went back to the Hydrolyzed hard food and hills gastrointestinal biome wet. I assume it will take time again for the vomiting to stop. It’s only been about a week and he is still vomiting daily. I feel awful for thinking it would be ok to go back to regular food.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It also has absolutely no nutritional value, being made up of mostly carbs and low quality animal bi products. Look it up. Your cat would be better on a quality grain free food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update- the vomiting finally stopped and Toby was doing great. Stupid me figured I could give him regular and less expensive food. He was fine for a couple weeks then the vomiting began again. I went back to the Hydrolyzed hard food and hills gastrointestinal biome wet. I assume it will take time again for the vomiting to stop. It’s only been about a week and he is still vomiting daily. I feel awful for thinking it would be ok to go back to regular food.
You'll have to figure out whatever it is that's triggering him before going back to a regular food.

Check the ingredients on the food that made him vomit and make a list.

Once a he's back to not vomiting you have to try very small portions of plain ingredients when possible.

Usually you start with offering the single ingredient protein to see if the protein was the issue. If not, it might be a secondary protein or a grain or binder that he has issues with (such as a gum).

Did your vet not discuss with you how to go about figuring out the cause of the potential allergy after stabilization on the hydrolysed diet?