How long it takes for the appetite to come back after weaning off Chlorambucil?

Julia9494

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Peanut was diagnosed with immune mediated polyarthritis in early June this year.
He was put on prednisolone initially and Chlorambucil was added in late June. Dosage for chlorambucil was once every 3 days.
His appetite was good before chlorambucil but started getting worse and worse. We tried giving odanstron but I felt it didn’t do much at all. We ended up giving him appetite stimulant (mitrazaphine) once every 4 days started in August.
He is now off Chlorambucil for 3 weeks, and is on very low dosage of prednisolone.
His energy level improved and is almost 100% back to normal now. However his appetite is still not good compare to how he used to be. He has been off appetite stimulant for almost 3 weeks as well. So his appetite did improve but not as much as I thought. He can sometimes finish his food (need hand feed…) but he isn’t keen on food like he used to be.
So just wondering if anyone had the experience of weaning their cats off Chlorambucil, and do they eventually get their appetite full back?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Peanut was on chlorambucil from late June until early October, if I am reading this correctly.

Chlorambucil | VCA Animal Hospitals
This article states that "this moderate-acting medication should stop working in a few days, although effects can be longer in pets with liver or kidney disease." Even if liver or kidney issues are involved, I don't know if three weeks would apply as a time frame or not.

Decreased appetite can be a side effect of chlorambucil.

This is a very rare condition in cats, but lowered appetite can be one symptom. Is he eating a sufficient amount, even if it does take coaxing? Is there any topper or cat safe food which might entice him to eat? If his appetite is in a serious decline, I would ask the vet about continued use of mirtazapine.

Is Peanut being treated with any other of the medications that are sometimes used for IMPA? How is is overall health?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julia9494

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you fionasmom for your comment and suggestion.
That’s correct, we started on 23rd June and Peanut had his last chlorambucil on 2nd October.
He can usually finish his dry food, which is 35g (cat food mix with freeze dry), and can eat 70-80% of his wet food (85g pouches). I would think he is eating enough?
He did lose some weight since he got sick, which I was hoping he can regain now that he is much better. He is now around 4kg (he is never a big cat, his weight was around 4.5kg).
He has his blood test done every 2 months since he’s been on chlorambucil, everything is normal.
Yes, will definitely check with his vet during the upcoming check up.
Apart from appetite recovering slower than I expected, everything else is pretty good. He is active and happy. He is currently only on prednisolone, low dosage though (1.25mg per day).
Peanut was a foodie before all this, so I really hope he can get his appetite back soon, but I guess 3 weeks might not be sufficient time for it get back to how it used to be?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I honestly don't know for sure about the time frame as it might have something to do with how Peanut's body processed the medication. It does not sound as if he is starving himself, but make sure that he continues to eat at least what he is eating now and watch for signs of any new decline in appetite. He does sound as if he is doing well otherwise, which is a good sign.

Has he made improvement with the IMPA?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julia9494

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! His appetite actually improved a little this week which is good :) Guess I will just need to be patient.
Yes he has! His IMPA was non-erosive. The symptoms he had was fever (caused lethargy and loss of appetite) and swollen joints (which wasn’t obvious). He is now actively running around and no fever or swollen joints anymore.