How Long Is Too Long For A Cat To Go Without Urinating?

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3yo male cat just came back from the vet this afternoon with a diagnosis of bladder infection. He received two shots with antibiotics and anti inflammatories and some special prescription food. The vet said she was unable to perform a urinalysis because she was unable to express enough urine, but did not say that he had a blockage. She said to keep him under close observation for the next 48 hours and bring him back if he worsens. My concern is that he has not used the litterbox since his return from the vet about 5 hours ago. He is eating, drinking, and acting normally. At what point should I be concerned that he isn't urinating? Since I'm watching for a blockage, I want to know at what point I should take him back into the vet. How long is too long for him to go without urinating?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure on the timing but couldn't the vet have gotten urine using a needle then the bladder? It's critical to get urine and send it out for culture so you know the exact bacteria you're dealing with. The culture will say which antibiotic is best to treat that specific one causing the infection. It's also imports to repeat the culture after antibiotics are done to confirm everything is clear. I'd really push for the vet to collect urine by going in then the belly area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! I believe she said that he didn't have enough urine in his bladder at the time of the visit. I think he must've went right before we left because she didn't say he was dehydrated. If I need to take him back, I will definitely ask her to do that. I just want to know what symptoms I should look for specifically when determining whether to take him back to the vet immediately.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straining. Looking like they are trying to poop and nothing is happening. Staying nearby the litter box and going in every 10-15 minutes and staying in for 3 minutes of so before you have to ask them nicely to take a break and come back out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, thank you! So far, he's not doing any of that. If he doesn't go by tomorrow, I'll take him back and request further tests. Thank you so much!