How long have you been a "cat" person?

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always been a cat person - I can't remember a time that I wasn't. My parents were always talking about getting a dog when I was growing up - I can remember objecting vehemently. I'm sure many people adore having a dog around, but I couldn't imagine living with one - strange I know. It's always been cats for me.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mother came home from work one day when I was about 10 with a little black and white kitten who had been born in a barn and her mum had been run over. Pickle was the start of my love of cats, although I've always loved any kind of animal. We got Tigger a few years later, and he was always my cat, followed me everywhere and purred if I even looked his way! We lost him 3 years ago just before I moved out of home and it broke my heart.

I debated for ages before getting my two now, as I know how much it's going to hurt when they're gone, but I just feel that a home isn't a home unless it has a few cat hairs on the sofa! I can't actually imagine ever being without cats now, my home would feel too lonely! I'm well and truely addicted

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hm..... like lots of other kids growing up I was subjected to the usual brainwashing.. you know... a mom, a dad, a daughter, a son, a faithful golden retriever. Everywhere basically all I saw was families with dogs, doing things together and such. So naturally, as it has probably happened to you and to others, I wanted a dog growing up. When I was nine my mom's friend got a puppy from these people who had about 12 and they were Black lab/golden retriever mixes. Well my mom thought that would be a good time to get me a dog (since they were free) so we went over there (my mom took me out of school, saying I was going for shots, boy was I surprised) and though I was young I still had some sense to not pick ones that were jumping up and down and really active... though I still picked a pretty hyper puppy. After I got the puppy all the training fell to me (and really, how is a 9 year old girl supposed to know how to train a puppy?) so when we moved to missouri he ended up being an outside dog because he wasnt house trained all the way. Even though I tried my best. And then I was 10 years old being dragged around by a 1 year old dog that was taller than me when he stood up... so I hardly walked him since I COULDNT. And the day we moved in is when I noticed the two orphaned 2 month old kittens next door and learned the joy of the independant pet that wont bound away and drag you accross the muddy front lawn on your stomach after a squirrel.

I've loved cats ever since. But I dont HATE dogs. I just can only tolerate other peoples dogs for a little bit (and the tolerance goes away expecially when you eat and they stare at you! I cant stand that!) but If I were to get another dog I would know better and would train him better. ONe day I think I will get a dog again. But not for a while.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had Cats, dogs and horses all of my life. I've loved them all since I was old enough to know there were animals.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my life. I can hardly remember a time when there was no cats in my life!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first memory is about a cat.
When I was really young, maybe 2 years old, I saw a big orange tabby cat walking down our street.
I fell hopelessly & forever in love with cats that day. I'm am still in awe of them.
Cats Rule.

Lei

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats and dogs, until we moved in with my stepdad cos he hates cats, but the housemate I moved in with had two cats!! I love them both, and would love to have a dog at some point, but circumstances aren't right at the mo. It is odd that my grandparents and my mum have had cats for years, yet neither can understand why I want 2 cats, and why I would want to foster (neither of them know I have 6 cats in the house at the mo - my mum just shook her head last time she heard I had 5 in the house, she is getting to the point where she has given up telling me how stupid I am!!).

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...for as long as I can remember

I always had an affinity for cats, my father's family had a farm so cats were around everywhere. One of my dad's favorite pics of me when I was a kid was on Easter Sunday when I was about 4, holding a big fat white kitty
. I think his name was Snowball

Then my grandmother had Tiger...an orange boy cat whom I LOVED so much (he was an outdoor kitty though)...To this day, I still have a soft spot for orange tabbies

Then Cody came into my life...another white boy cat who is still the love of my life (RIP 1998). We had him from the time I was 6 7/o till I was 22 y/o. I always Cody was my guardian angel, staying with me from the time I was in kindergarden till I graduated from college. I still get teary when I think of him

I didn't have another one till about 4 years later, when Cassie found my boyfriend and I. She is a plump little girl, calico with the most beautiful face a cat could ever have
. She and I have our private little loving moments together, when she'll crawl into my lap and lay on me purring to get me up in the morning.

We recently introduced her to Napoleon Dynamite...a lithe Bengal tiger-y looking guy. He's a little talker...he loves to hear himself speak
. He's growing on Cassie though, even though he is enamored with her

And I hate to think of the day when they may be gone, my two new babies, but I know I will always always be a cat person, and the more I have around me, and the more I see, I always think...well...I could just take *one* more LOL

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

For me, most of my life I've had dogs. Not until we got Trixie 4 years ago have I discovered how wonderful these furballs can be! I've always liked them, but now I realize how truly wonderful they are! Have you always been a cat person or like me, just recently discovered how wonderful they are?
I'm pretty close to this... I as also a dog person all my life until about 2 1/2 years ago when I got my first of 7!!!