How Long for Kitten to Acclimate

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 22 week old Siamese bought from a breeder who is too shy to be petted or picked up.

He will take food very close to me but if I reach out he jumps back. His play is noncommittal and doesn't result in contact.

how long is normal for this new cat.

PS there are no other animals in the house.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While some kittens are friendly essentially instantly, its not unusual for a kitten to be shy. It usually doesn't take much longer than a few days to a week or so with a shy kitten, but every kitten is different. The key is to be incredibly patient, and imagine that the kitten is a shy member of the opposite sex that you are trying to court. With this analogy in mind, its easy to see that something like picking the kitten up or putting it on the lap and holding it there would be a disaster. Just in general, don't do things the kitten isn't ready for. Rather, spend quiet and chill time in the kitten's vicinity. You can also see if the kitten is ready to take treats if you toss them a bit from you. You might also be able to play with the kitten with a laser pointer or lure toy like Da Bird, which can help build confidence. Just don't scare the kitten with the toy or force the issue - its fine if the kitten isn't ready. Often times you'll first be able to pet the kitten a bit when its sleepy. There may also be a special spot where you are usually quiet and chill where the kitten might come to you, before it is ready to do so generally and in other spots.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had him?

If you just got the cat then it's not too unusual for it to need some time to decompress and figure out it's new surroundings.

If the cat has been with you for several weeks, it's possible the kitten wasn't properly socialized.

But some kittens are shy by nature and the approach to work with them similar. A ArtNJ already gave some good tips. I would have written pretty much the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been almost one week. He has his own room, and has located himself under the bed. He comes out to eat and play a little but draws back at any movement to pet him. I've spent a lot of time with him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just have to wait for him. Stop trying to pet him until he comes to you, or goes to sleep out and about, which will indicate a higher level of comfort. Resist the urge to interact with him under the bed, thats his safe space. Instead, quietely use your phone and chill on that bed. Or on the floor in that room, if you have the patience for that. Thats something that many recommend, but personally, I go for the bed, got to be realistic, and its a lot easier to quietely chill on a bed. I also feel like if I get on the floor, its that much harder to avoid the tempation to stick a hand under the bed. Got to respect that under the bed is his safe space right now.

While most kittens acclimate within a week or so, sometimes it takes a little longer. As sivyaleah sivyaleah noted, this is an olderish kitten, and we dont know how well socialized he was. Even so, it shouldn't be too long if you stay patient.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have patience :) A week is hardly enough time for cats to settle in. Some do settle in quickly but others need time. Let your kitten settle in at her own pace and don't push it. If she wants to hide and is wary about being touched, just let her be.

TCS has some articles that will help:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. I think this kitten was kept too long with the breeder and he just misses her. He was handled like a pet there and reportedly was very social. The breeder is a true cat lover and that is a different socialization than bred kittens usually get. He's a great little kitten but seems exactly like the many cats I have cared for when friends are out of town. Detached, cautious, but cooperative.

I think the breeder would swap him out for one from the next litter and keep him as a pet which would make be happy.