How long does it take?

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They were napping on the bed together today!!

I guess the lure of clean warm laundry was too much to bear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So cute Malakaiii! Congratulations to the good relationship between Tak and Pixle.

This morning I let Soleil out of the bathroom without warning. Singa walked up to her and both sniffed eachothers noses - but than came the hiss.

An now Singa is her hissing self. 1 foot and thats it. No closer than that. Singa follwed Soleil to the guestroo where Soleil was sitting underneath the couch. When she got to close Soleil either sneezed or spat at her
Singa diectly backed up and left.

I really don't get the two....
Singa seems to be frightened by the little one. But how to make her be comfortable with the little bubble.
After all Soleil is barely 1/4 of Singa

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they react to each others warnings, each time there should be a little more give. Some intros take longer, in your situation( or should I say Singas), a few months even. It sounds like there is a lot of respect for each other, someone maybe stubborn

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

As long as they react to each others warnings, each time there should be a little more give. Some intros take longer, in your situation( or should I say Singas), a few months even. It sounds like there is a lot of respect for each other, someone maybe stubborn
Yeah.. I think she is stubborn. Just now Soleil did her 'haloween walk' towards Singa and Singa just ran away and hid under the dining table
At least no hissin

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow.. This is a good thread!

My wife has a cat, Raleigh..
She is 1.5 years old and is not the kindest cat.. I cannot really pet her.. She is very skiddish, etc..

Well, I wanted a kitty I could play with and we though Raleigh needed someone to play with while we were gone..

So, we picked up a new kitty.. Pogue.. She is a 3 month old gray tabby cat..

We just brough Pogue home today and Raleigh is none too happy about the addition, and of course, Pogue does nothing but want to play with Raleigh... Raleigh has only swatted at Pogue once but has been hissing quite a bit..

We really do not want to seperate them, but I guess that is what we are going to have to do..

I was just holding Pogue and Raleigh seemed to be "relaxed" but she is still very apprehensive and kinda lurks around the house...

We just put Pogue on the ground and she ran right up to Ral's, with just hissing from Raleigh..

No real fights yet.. I guess we'll head to Wal-Mart and get another litterbox and water/food tray and give the isolation a shot...

Jeff and Harley

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to go on record to say that the isolation technique works WONDERS. I would recommend it to everyone and I will most certainly be using this method to bring any new cats into my home.

It's wonderful to see my two cats playing together after only a few days and the older one (who the vet actually diagnosed as having a nervous disorder), is not phased by the little one at all.

It really is an amazing technique and can work if you have the patience! Definitely worth it for the peace of mind of your family and the kitties!

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats..

We have not seperated our cats yet..

Raleigh (the dominant cat) just used the litterbox, after Pogue did.. Don't know if that's a positive sign or not.. Raleigh also just ate out of the food bowl, after Pogue.. Again, not sure if that is a positive sign or not..

My wife and I are both a little reluctant to use the isolation method, as it seems we're just not motivated enough to run to wal-mart right now and get another litter box/food bowl..

Raleigh hisses and lowly growls at Pogue, but she acts more scared of Pogue than angry at her..

I guess we should really suck it up and go get a litterbox, etc..

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malakaiii

It's wonderful to see my two cats playing together after only a few days and the older one (who the vet actually diagnosed as having a nervous disorder), is not phased by the little one at all.
What sort of symptoms did your cat have?

Our Raleigh acts extremely nervous, all the time.. She's extremely skittish..

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Raleigh'sParent

Wow.. This is a good thread!

My wife has a cat, Raleigh..
She is 1.5 years old and is not the kindest cat.. I cannot really pet her.. She is very skiddish, etc..

Well, I wanted a kitty I could play with and we though Raleigh needed someone to play with while we were gone..

So, we picked up a new kitty.. Pogue.. She is a 3 month old gray tabby cat..

We just brough Pogue home today and Raleigh is none too happy about the addition, and of course, Pogue does nothing but want to play with Raleigh... Raleigh has only swatted at Pogue once but has been hissing quite a bit..

We really do not want to seperate them, but I guess that is what we are going to have to do..

I was just holding Pogue and Raleigh seemed to be "relaxed" but she is still very apprehensive and kinda lurks around the house...

We just put Pogue on the ground and she ran right up to Ral's, with just hissing from Raleigh..

No real fights yet.. I guess we'll head to Wal-Mart and get another litterbox and water/food tray and give the isolation a shot...

Jeff and Harley
This is more or less what the situation between Singa and Soleil is at the moment, only that I had tried the isolation for a couple of days. But I have the feeling it is not the smell, but the sight of the little kitten that is freaking Singa out and causing her to hiss and run away

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Singa is not hissing anymore, but therefore running away from Soleil as soon as she comes too near.

Soleil is cahsing her all over the place trying to play, but Singa isn't comfi with it yet. But at least no hissing or fighting... But I'm a bit sad that my Singa is so frightend by a little kitten. Tho she is not hiding away. Singa will actually look for Soleil until Soleil jumps towards her. Then Singa will be the inferior (with head down looking up from the side and belly alost turned up)... and then off they go. Singa running front and Soleil at the back... or is it fun play for both?

Soleil is pretty dominant and is really testing her boundries with Singa.
She has even started eating her food and Singa is just watchin sadly from the sidelines until I take Soleil to her own food.

Not too sure if that is good or bad...

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds like exactly what Raleigh and Pogue are going through..

Except right now, we still have hissing from Raleigh..

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Raleigh'sParent

What sort of symptoms did your cat have?

Our Raleigh acts extremely nervous, all the time.. She's extremely skittish..
Tak's problems have really died down a lot in the past few months, at least. But what got her the nervous disorder diagnosis was I had gone away for a few weeks and she was living her with my boyfriend (they both always live here). Well I guess she really missed me because once I got home, she would meow CONSTANTLY. At all hours of the day and night. Plus she would tear up the toilet paper, and chew anything plastic (photographs, magazines, bags, etc). And when we took her to the vet, she was highly violent (biting, scratching, snarling). It was a really stressful time for all of us...

The doctor offered to medicate her, but I really didn't want that unless it was necessary. We put her on a strict play-schedule and also started only touching her when she wanted to be touched. It's worked wonders and she's doing pretty good now!

Having the new kitten around has got her a little nervous again, we had an issue with the toilet paper again last night. But all in all, we're doing pretty good!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Jaffa and Mosi it's been a gradual process from tolerating each other to actually liking each other. I've had Mosi for just over 10 months and although there's never been any really bad fighting between them, Jaffa hissed at Mosi whenever he got too close to begin with. Then he accepted him and would groom him but hissed or growled when Mosi got too playful. Then they had a period of getting on well and playing together, but usually at least one moment of hissing/growling each day as a result of Mosi jumping on top of Jaffa wanting to play (or sometimes just challenging him). Things deteriorated a bit as Mosi matured but then improved again and for a while now I've considered them fine together, although we still have a bit of hissing by Jaffa whenever Mosi irritates him. This morning I woke up to find them both on the bed indulging in a spot of mutual grooming which was nice, and the first time I've seen Mosi groom Jaffa. Their relationship is constantly evolving but it is slowly getting better and better. I think they've gone well beyond tolerting each other now and both enjoy the other's company.

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, Raleigh isn't anything like that.. She just doesn't like to be touched and ALWAYS runs away from me, like I'm chasing her.. Anytime I try and pet her she paws at me, but doesn't really scratch me.. She hisses at EVERYTHING all the time.. I mean, she hisses at the craziest things.. However, when I do play with her, she often rolls over on her back and will let me play with her a little..

My wife says that if she was really pissed at me, she wouldn't roll over on her back like she does, as that is a compromising spot for a cat.. Sorta makes sense, if I was mad at something, I wouldn't flip on my back and let them play with me..

As far as Pogue and Raleigh go.. We have been keeping them seperated, but Raleigh has been curious about the whining behind the door, so I let Pogue out of the room while I was doing some work around the house..

Raleigh still hisses at her, but has not swatted her or anything.. She follows Pogue around the house..

Right now, I am sitting on the couch with Pogue next to me, and Raleigh is asleep in her normal spot about 2 feet behind us on the top of the couch.. She has been lightly growling at both me and Pogue but has not attacked or anything..

Is this a decent sign? I hate keeping my new kitty all cooped up in a room all by herself.. She crys, meows constantly looking for someone.. The minute I let her out, she curls up next to me and goes right to sleep... I also don't want Raleigh to feel like we've slighted her..

This is tough.. I hope it works out..

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

With Jaffa and Mosi it's been a gradual process from tolerating each other to actually liking each other. I've had Mosi for just over 10 months and although there's never been any really bad fighting between them, Jaffa hissed at Mosi whenever he got too close to begin with. Then he accepted him and would groom him but hissed or growled when Mosi got too playful. Then they had a period of getting on well and playing together, but usually at least one moment of hissing/growling each day as a result of Mosi jumping on top of Jaffa wanting to play (or sometimes just challenging him). Things deteriorated a bit as Mosi matured but then improved again and for a while now I've considered them fine together, although we still have a bit of hissing by Jaffa whenever Mosi irritates him. This morning I woke up to find them both on the bed indulging in a spot of mutual grooming which was nice, and the first time I've seen Mosi groom Jaffa. Their relationship is constantly evolving but it is slowly getting better and better. I think they've gone well beyond tolerting each other now and both enjoy the other's company.
I think this exactly how the realtionship between Singa and Soleil is. I wouldn't call them friends yet. We haven't seen any grooming. Yesterday Singa stopped hissing alltogether. I'm really happy about the development. We have stopped locking Soleil away (which we did at night or when we weren't home, just to be sure nothing happens). And it's really getting better and better every day. Soleil is eating Singa's food, but she seems ok with it

I think what did it for us was that we gradually increased the time the two where out together. Singa was frightened by the sight of Soleil - and especially frightened by Soleil pouncing on her all the time (which she is still not comfi with), but they have started playing without hissing or rough play.

So I guess we made it - we now also have officially 2 cats

Time to celebrate

walthamstowuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so delighted to read all these threads and very pleased that singa and soleil are sort of getting on now!

We have not been so lucky. Our old cat (we are in week 3 now) has been put back into her room during the day, and we let her out at night time when the two kittens are put into the living room. This way at least the older cat gets a wander round the house. Everyone seems very happy with this arrangement of not interacting at all, so we are going to leave it for another week and then try the introductions again, doing all the scent things too and hope that it works - fingers crossed! Otherwise we may have to re-home the older cat as last week she took to really chasing the kittens and hissing and spitting so we couldn't have them together at all. The kittens now hiss back but they are quite a bit smaller than the older cat so they generally run and hide.

But your stories are all cheering me up that this may eventually work! I am going to get some of that feliaway stuff too next week for the introductions!

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WalthamstowUK

I am so delighted to read all these threads and very pleased that singa and soleil are sort of getting on now!

We have not been so lucky. Our old cat (we are in week 3 now) has been put back into her room during the day, and we let her out at night time when the two kittens are put into the living room. This way at least the older cat gets a wander round the house. Everyone seems very happy with this arrangement of not interacting at all, so we are going to leave it for another week and then try the introductions again, doing all the scent things too and hope that it works - fingers crossed! Otherwise we may have to re-home the older cat as last week she took to really chasing the kittens and hissing and spitting so we couldn't have them together at all. The kittens now hiss back but they are quite a bit smaller than the older cat so they generally run and hide.

But your stories are all cheering me up that this may eventually work! I am going to get some of that feliaway stuff too next week for the introductions!
Good luck!!!
I heard from some that it takes months for them to get along! I really hope for you that it will work out!

raleigh'sparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, well.. I think I may have gotten lucky, no thanks to my impatience..

We introduced Raleigh and Pogue after about 2 days of seperation..

I think we had several positive things happen yesterday.. First, I let Pogue out and she was on the couch with me, well I got up and came back, Pogue was gone.. I went into the bedroom, there she was.. laying RIGHT on Raleighs spot.. Rut roah, I thought.. So I grabbed Pogue and brought her back into the living room with me..

I went back into the bedroom a little later and Raleigh was sleeping as sound as could be, right in the same spot Pogue was laying, so I think she is getting used to her scent..

Also, hissing was at a minimal level yesterday.. Maybe 6 or 7 times...

Well, last night, was the first night we let Pogue out of the safe room at night, while we were sleeping..

Pogue slept on my side of the bed and Raleigh slept on my wifes side of the bed..

Also, I have been sitting on the couch with Pogue all morning, well I got up again.. and again, Pogue was gone.. I went into the bedroom.. Pogue and Ral are both asleep on the bed.. Not cuddled up or anything, but they are sleeping on the same bed, and there is nary any bloodshed..

I think this is going to work! I can't see it getting anyworse than this, and it's going pretty well..