How long does allergy vaccine keep?

Brazil415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was given allergy vaccine to start giving my cat shots for allergies to dust mites and fleas 18 months ago. I haven't given a cat shots before, and was anxious about doing it, and didn't give him the shots at that time. I want to start giving him the shots. I've had the vaccine in my fridge the whole time. Do you think the vaccine I was given 18 months ago should still be effective? Thanks.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! There should be an expiration date on the packaging of the vaccine. If not, it is probably possible to call the manufacturer/pharmaceutical company and ask them.

You might ask the vet who prescribed them. Since you did not give the shots for a year and a half, something must have changed which makes you want to give them now? Cat's allergies subsided?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brazil415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His symptoms seem greater recently.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might call the vet before starting an older prescription and let him know in case he needs to see her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the name of the allergy shot? Is it in the original manufacturer vial? A manufacturer vial has an expiration date printed on the label BUT the date if for an unopened unused vial that is kept under recommended storage conditions.

If it's been over a year since your cat was prescribed the allergy shot and your cat is showing more symptoms, I'd at least give the vet a call and ask if it's still ok to use the allergy shot or if you need a new prescription and if a vet tech can show you how to give it properly. Most shots given at home are subcutaneous. You pull up the loose skin at the back of the neck and inject into the pulled up skin.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use sublingual allergy medication for one of my cats The serum definitely has an expiration date and it's right on the vial - would be the same for injectible.

It's only good for about 6 months. Most likely, if as old as yours is, it's lost effectiveness - more so, since you have not used any of it and want to start now it's imperative you consult your vet. They would need to know for medical history and god forbid if the cat has a reaction, which you are cautioned to look out for when first starting the serum.

Aside from that, it takes a while for the cat to build up resistance to the allergies so you'd have to be giving it for several weeks minimum to see any effects. More like months. However if it works, it does help a lot. My cat has been on hers for about a year now and the difference amazing.

Brazil415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vial only has the date it was made and a vaccine ID number, no manufacturer name or expiration date. It’s from a practice that specializes in pet allergy. I guess either they make it themselves, or they relabel it. It’s supposed to be subcutaneous. I’ll contact the practice to find out if the vaccine is still usable. Thanks.

What is the name of the allergy shot? Is it in the original manufacturer vial? A manufacturer vial has an expiration date printed on the label BUT the date if for an unopened unused vial that is kept under recommended storage conditions.

If it's been over a year since your cat was prescribed the allergy shot and your cat is showing more symptoms, I'd at least give the vet a call and ask if it's still ok to use the allergy shot or if you need a new prescription and if a vet tech can show you how to give it properly. Most shots given at home are subcutaneous. You pull up the loose skin at the back of the neck and inject into the pulled up skin.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vial only has the date it was made and a vaccine ID number, no manufacturer name or expiration date. It’s from a practice that specializes in pet allergy. I guess either they make it themselves, or they relabel it. It’s supposed to be subcutaneous. I’ll contact the practice to find out if the vaccine is still usable. Thanks.
Is it Heska? We use a pet allergist also.

Was your cat actually treated and did they identify the allergens or is this a generic allergy medication? If it was specifically prepared for your cat most likely Heska is the manufacturer and Allercept is the medication name.

Regardless yes, call the vet. No medication keeps for 18 months that I'm aware of. The do eventually degrade in effectiveness.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's so strange to have a vial with such a vague label. The allergist most likely aliquoted out the medicine from the original manufacturer vial into a smaller vial which was then given to you with the vague label. Yes, do contact the allergist and get all the info about the medicine (name, manufacturer, if the vial you have is still good to use or not, etc).

Brazil415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it Heska? We use a pet allergist also.

Was your cat actually treated and did they identify the allergens or is this a generic allergy medication? If it was specifically prepared for your cat most likely Heska is the manufacturer and Allercept is the medication name.

Regardless yes, call the vet. No medication keeps for 18 months that I'm aware of. The do eventually degrade in effectiveness.
I believe they drew blood and identified the allergies from the blood sample. They found two allergies, to fleas and dust/dust mites I believe. There's no manufacturer or medication name on the vials.