How long does a cut take to heal normally?

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all -- I have been posting a lot here and I hope I am not annoying everyone! So, my cat did cut his face, now he is on the cone with the doses of steroids until 10/7 then vet derm on 10/12 and I was wondering what the typical time for a cut to heal and fur to grow back?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. His healing time all depends on what caused the cut, how big the cut is, where the cut is, if he can get to the cut to bother it, whether or not you are cleaning it, if there is an underlying infection, and on and on and on. Maybe more information would help members come up with some ideas for you. To start with, why steroids as a first line of treatment - or, has there been previous treatments?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since I assume he's under a Vet's care for this, it's probable best to ask your Vet how long it will take to heal, since they should know the answers to all of the above specifics that are very pertinent to the healing process.

As for how long for the fur to grow back, one of my guys had his front paw shaved for IV fluids, etc, about a month ago, and he still looks like a french poodle since he's a longish haired cat. I'm thinking it will be at least another month until his fur is completely grown back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to email my vet next Week which will be 7 days of cone + finishing of oral prendisolone. I was just curious to really how do you know when its healed?

Obliviously the hair growing all the way back means the wound is gone but it could be "healed" earlier than that no?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, antibiotics are given to combat infection. Steroids combat inflammation but they can cause delays in wound healing. If the wound needs to stay open to drain, maybe that is the reasoning behind it? There have been some tests that say steroids can help with muscle healing in weekly doses. Cats are strong in the ability to heal themselves. I have seen them recover from horrendous wounds. If the hair is gone or shaven, it takes at LEAST two months for it to grow back, often longer. I have a cat right now with a shaven part and it has been two months and it is at the most half grown back. as for the wound itself, if it is an abscess, it can take at least a month to start looking better, a couple to heal. a regular cut, etc,.can take at least a couple of weeks to close and start to heal. Don't expect healing tom take place soon. It is a slow, complicated process, and depends how deep and how much damage needs to be repaired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks di and bob di and bob my poor cat has to wear the cone of shame, which I take off for feeding and yesterday from about 5 pm - 8 pm with constant hawk eye supervision between my gf and myself. I feel bad but the cone for sure is helping the wound heal.

I would also assume the healing process causing itching which is probably why he opened it again?

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently had a rough spot that turned into a scab maybe the size of a pencil eraser. I was surprised that it took much longer than a human scab the same size to heal. It took about a month. So maybe their cuts/scabs just take longer for some reason.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Healed is when the edges have come back together, or new skin replaces the old and there is no more draining or open area. It is dry and scabbed. Hir can take much longer to come back in.