How long does a cat take to forget its owners? im going on a trip....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will sometimes "punish" you for going away by ignoring you for a few days when you get back. You just have to get through that part and then she should be as affectionate as ever. Cats don't forget that quickly, so she remembers you; she just wants to play hard-to-get :D.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My late cat Willie stayed with my parents when I went away to college for 3 years. I'd come back every few months and she'd be mad at me for leaving, but I was her one person, so she always forgave me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a lot of people are saying that their cats still remember them but I dont think it is the same case for me. I have made almost a year relationship with my cat then I had to go to abroad for a month and my cat was under the care of my brother. I returned just a few days ago but to my dissapoint my cat doesnt quite recognize me, I can understand through her actions. Usually she lets me pet her and rub the side of her belly but now she moves away from me whenever I pet her. She doesnt do any signs that show she trusts me in any way. Now I have to start the relationship from the beginning by feeding her food as it is the only way Ill get back her trust. All of this makes me feel that all the love and beautiful moments I had with her is wasted. I really dont know how to feel right now.....
cats have their own unique personality, i am sure your cat is just sad, and upset that you went away for so long.

my cat turned away from my when i left the house for a week. when i called she would meow to me. but as soon as she saw me, she looked away and ignored me.

the next day she was being cuddly and loving.

give her time, and lots of love, and she'll go back to normal. once a cat chooses their human, nothing can change that.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been away from my cat for months before during college, and then moved away with her afterwards. She was away from my parents house for 6 years and then I had to move back in for a few months. Still remembered her favorite places in the house and everyone in it like she'd never been away.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved out, my childhood cats always remembered me when I would come back for visits. Now I wish I had found some way to take them with me, but they were outdoor cats their entire lives and I doubt the apartments would have allowed pets.

gaby25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see people talking about trips of days, weeks or months...my cat seems to forget me after a day at work! I feel so sad! I got a 2 month kitten and I've been trying to bond with her over the past two months (now she is 4 months old). Last weeks I had some time off work and could spend a lot of time with her...we were at the point she was blinking at me like the blink "I love you", sleeping with me, following me to the toilet, watching me cook and tv together. A really companion. I thought we really made the bond (I also had another cat which I could never make the bond...so I got this little one trying to find a companion).
Last monday I get back to work and of course spend some time away. I've notice that the bond seemed to fade...the kitten suddenly sttoped to do everything we achieved during the past 2 weeks.
I work a lot but I give lots of attention for both cats when I'm home...playing, feeding with food and nice snacks. Even with the older cat that rejects me, I never stopped trying. I felt like I had finnaly made a bond with this new one like I could never do with the older one and now I'm so sad. Like in three days all my "work" from the over two weeks had disappeared. She even runned alway when she saw me today when I get back home. Like she doesn't know me...like she did not recognize me. I did our routine with playing + feeding + cleaning but she did not let me cuddle her or sleep with me. Put her in bed (in the past days she just came like she understood it was bed time) and she run off and ignored me).
Really I feel so frustrated and sad..I love both cats but in the end it seemed I'm the only one. :( Dont know what I do that its so wrong because when I see people with their cats they seemed really connected but I cant make it with mine, not a bond that lasts at least...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see people talking about trips of days, weeks or months...my cat seems to forget me after a day at work! I feel so sad! I got a 2 month kitten and I've been trying to bond with her over the past two months (now she is 4 months old). Last weeks I had some time off work and could spend a lot of time with her...we were at the point she was blinking at me like the blink "I love you", sleeping with me, following me to the toilet, watching me cook and tv together. A really companion. I thought we really made the bond (I also had another cat which I could never make the bond...so I got this little one trying to find a companion).
Last monday I get back to work and of course spend some time away. I've notice that the bond seemed to fade...the kitten suddenly sttoped to do everything we achieved during the past 2 weeks.
I work a lot but I give lots of attention for both cats when I'm home...playing, feeding with food and nice snacks. Even with the older cat that rejects me, I never stopped trying. I felt like I had finnaly made a bond with this new one like I could never do with the older one and now I'm so sad. Like in three days all my "work" from the over two weeks had disappeared. She even runned alway when she saw me today when I get back home. Like she doesn't know me...like she did not recognize me. I did our routine with playing + feeding + cleaning but she did not let me cuddle her or sleep with me. Put her in bed (in the past days she just came like she understood it was bed time) and she run off and ignored me).
Really I feel so frustrated and sad..I love both cats but in the end it seemed I'm the only one. :( Dont know what I do that its so wrong because when I see people with their cats they seemed really connected but I cant make it with mine, not a bond that lasts at least...

Have you tried creating a thread for advice? Cats can sometimes give you the cold shoulder when they feel you have offended them. i was in the hospital for a week once, and my cat was constantly in my room meowing for me, and didnt want to eat. When i got home she spent 24 hours ignoring me, and then randomly started being affection. I think she was just letting me know she was sad i was gone.

Try posting a thread, maybe pet parents with a schedule similar to yours can guide you. :grouphug2: