How long does a 12 lb bag of kibble last?

clover28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm buying food for my kitty and I was wondering how long a 12 lb bag would last. She gets 2/3 of a cup daily in total.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if you are just feeding only kibble, but I know that much lasts about 2-3 months in my house with my cats eating mostly wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clover28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if you are just feeding only kibble, but I know that much lasts about 2-3 months in my house with my cats eating mostly wet food.
She only gets kibble at the moment.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess you would have to do the math and weigh 2/3 cup of the kibble to see how much it weights. Then divide that into 12 pounds (or something like that) Math isn't my strong suit. The real issue is though, how much does that particular kibble weigh. I suppose you could call the manufacturer and ask if you don't happen to have a kitchen scale.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it comes out to about 40 days give or take if my math is right but it also depends on the weight and size of the kibble.
It's better to weigh it out for yourself for accuracy.
All bags have nutrition on the label so the answer may be pretty easy to figure out. Not all kibble is the same either - some have more calories than others and 2/3 a cup of one may only be 100 calories while another 200.
If you only go by weight, you may wind up under or overfeeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clover28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it comes out to about 40 days give or take if my math is right but it also depends on the weight and size of the kibble.
It's better to weigh it out for yourself for accuracy.
All bags have nutrition on the label so the answer may be pretty easy to figure out. Not all kibble is the same either - some have more calories than others and 2/3 a cup of one may only be 100 calories while another 200.
If you only go by weight, you may wind up under or overfeeding.
Got it. Thanks!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 1lb dry kibble has about 4.4 cups in it so 12 times 4.4 is 52.8 so I hope that helps

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got it. Thanks!
OMG I was so wrong on that calculation. I was basing it on a 6.6 lb bag which is what we buy!
I realized it this morning. So, double what I said lol - probably for one cat around 3 months. Give or take.
I've been sick this week and clearly my brain is still foggy!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on this math, at 2/3 cup a day, a 12lb bag would last about 80 days :)
I googled 2/3 times 80 it says 53.3 so maybe 79 days lol that's still good amount of days there , I figured out that ratio of 4.4 cups per 1lb back around 2014 I think by measuring out multiple different brands of food some was 4.2 some was 4.6 so I even it out by going by 4.4 bc it's the middle number and most said 4.4 anyway ,I tested it with Nature's variety , Solid gold Falidae (now canidae) ,friskies ,Diamond etc

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry cat food has a density of approximately 300 g. per liter.

A 12 lb. bag of dry cat food equals about 5.4 kg.

Divide 5.4 by 0.300 to get the volume.
5.4 ÷ 0.300 = 18

That means a 12 lb. bag of cat food has a volume of approximately 18 liters.

One US Cup equals approximately 0.24 liters.
(Let's round up to 0.25 to make the math easier.)

Divide 18 by 0.25 to get the number of cups in a bag of cat food.
18 ÷ 0.25 = 72

That means that there are about 72 US Cups in a bag of food.

Divide that by the amount of food in a feeding to get the number of feedings per bag. You are feeding 2/3 or 0.67 cups per feeding.
72 ÷ 0.67 = 107.46

You should get a little bit more than 107 feedings out of a bag of cat food. Let's just say that there are 100 feedings because nobody measures with perfect accuracy every time.

If I did my math right, there should be 100 ÷ 30 or 3.3 months worth of food in a 12 lb. bag.

That's three months and ten days. :)

Now, my figure of 300 g. / l. for the density of cat food is just an average.
Don't ask me how I know the density of cat food. I just do. I know a lot of seemingly strange information. That's the way I am. ;)
Anyhow, I can't guarantee that YOUR cat food is the same.

If you REALLY want to know the exact number, you'll need to measure out exactly one liter of your brand of cat food, weigh it then follow my steps to get your answer.

However, the numbers I came up with seem to be reasonable. It's a good guess, at least.

My calculations came out close to what sivyaleah sivyaleah says so I'm going to say "Final Answer." ;) ;) ;)